The Boy Band Project: Old School Edition

Gary R. Beck

Mar 1, 2021, 2:45:45 PM3/1/21
to PV OT/SS IO Group, PV GT Google, PV OT/SS Google

The Boy Band Project
Old School Edition

Tonight four young talented men who, through constant rehearsal, have perfected a display of their immense talents in dancing, singing and exuding each one's unique personality. Most audience members remembered the hot streak of Boy Bands, three to five young attractive guys. Now, a new format of their standard show is unveiled. This season they have added an 'oldies' show which gives musical tribute to the earlier days of Boy Bands. That production features groups which we did not term a boy band but they were known for the very same features. The Beatles are perfect examples. This is their second show theme and covers some groups from the 50s, 60s and 70s for both the 'more mature' audience memories and the younger crowd eager to learn new [Oldie] songs. Due to Red Alert, the musical production is in the growing stages so stand back for their next Old School, hopefully in the Autumn.

On stage is an all-gay boy band cover group. This cast has all been on Broadway and are The Sporty One - Chris Messina, The Boy Next Door - Travis Nesbitt, The Bad Boy - Jesse Corbin, The Sensitive One - Nic Metcalf. They have been on television shows, cruises and worldwide concerts.
The group of boys met when they performed together in the various Broadway musicals and Travis decided to create a band to bring back the sounds of boy bands since he was already leading a group in tribute to The 4 Seasons resulting in success. The Project combines the smooth sweet vocals of the boys often with a persistent and driving dance beat.

The Beatles must be the best-known Boy Band of the 60s and the Project opened with "Let It Be", sporting formal coats of purple and gold which shimmered in The Palm's lighting. Swaying bodies were evident everywhere. The ties and coats were soon shed and they sped up the evening with "December, 1963 [Oh, What a Night]" made famous by Frankie Valli and The 4 Seasons. "Puerto Vallarta, put your hands together."

No song and dance number gets an audience boiling than "Everybody [Backstreet's Back]": "Rock your body right" from one of the very top boy bands Backstreet Boys. No one was sitting still nor could. Their intertwining dancing, turns, dips and shuffles are marked by slickly designed choreography.
From *NSYNC, "Tearin' Up My Heart" combined a steady dance beat with sweet dreamy lyrics of love. Travis suggests "Take a little step down memory lane."

"Roll it back!" Conjuring up memories of slow dances with a current lover, The Boy Band Project dipped into the musical well of spectacular tunes by pulling "God Only Knows" from
 The Beach Boys landmark album "Pet Sounds". Frankie Valli was recognized solo without his 4 Seasons for the classic "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" which was said to be the number one wedding dance song worldwide still since its release in 1967. Motown furnished its own Boy Bands led by The Jackson 5 with twelve-year-old Michael as lead singer. The soft promise "I'll Be There" was sung tenderly with much emotion.

Travis chatted about creating The Boy Band Project seven years ago since he was already participating in a 4 Seasons tribute band. He gathered longtime friends and they established their image. Tonight, he introduced "Cry For Me" which was his first rendition of a Frankie Valli song ages ago, later featured in the 2005 play "Jersey Boys".

Travis related that their shows are rather unique in that each member is given "Stool Time" to sit, talk, sing and become friends. This design is a marvelous way to learn more about each man especially his vocals and personality. "My Girl" was a beautifully presented The Temptations memory still extremely popular after 57 years! Gorgeous "My Eyes Adored You" finished set one. It became evident that the band spends a multitude of time researching and testing compositions then selecting the song list for each show which vary. It sent anticipatory waves throughout the room for their return.

An added bonus was a Special Guest performance by Keith Tynes, sharing some golden oldies, continuing the fond memories. He not only pleased the audience with the classic tunes, he overwhelmed those gathered with his powerful, professional star vocals. The Platters tune "Only You" was astounding and then he launched into "The Greatest Love of All". What a voice and presence. He has at least three nights on the calendar starting Wednesday, March 3.

The four men returned jumpstarting the crowd with "Step By Step" from New Kids On The Block: "You're always on my mind. Really want you in my world." Synchronized movements continued with "You Got It [The Right Stuff]" demonstrating hot synchronized dancing while taking turns at the lead with the other guys supplementing harmonious backgrounds. "I'll Be Good For You" slowed the night in a soft lovingness. Travis spoke of his favorite Boy Band song and gave the crowd "I Want It That Way".

The pandemic was discussed and artists worldwide have been suffering from the lack of a live audience. All gatherers were applauded for attending their show and they expressed how much it means to them to have real live people listening and absorbing their music. "You are sitting in a fishbowl." From One Direction the four 'boys' declared "What Makes You Beautiful". "If only you saw what I can see. You'll understand why I want you so desperately. You don't know you're beautiful."

"December, 1973 [Oh, What a Night]", The Four Seasons song, defined this evening in a nutshell. The wildly entertaining exhilarating display of overflowing talents must wind down. "Want another?", shouted Travis. He revealed the finale will be an original song "Get Behind My Love". It was a joyful adoration of four guys whose talents will be obvious to all.

Choreography by Jelani Remy.
Music videos featured a cameo by Thirsty Burlington.

Find more photos on my Facebook Shows page below.

The Palm Cabaret
Olas Altas 508
Zona Romántica - Southside, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
21st Anniversary Season
Tickets:
www.ThePalmCabaret.com
222-0200/322-182-9656
The box office is open from 10 am - 10 pm.

A note from The Palm Cabaret management:  SAFETY FIRST, ENTERTAINMENT ALWAYS We have installed a new retractable roof for air flow and five new air filtration systems to take out old air and bring in fresh cool air. Patrons are protected by Plexiglas shields in front and on the sides of their personal seating area which is at minimum three meters from the stage. We have limited our capacity to sixty guests per show. Masks must be worn to your seats and to the restrooms. Masks may be removed upon entering your private Plexiglas area.
BoyBandProject21.2.jpg
BoyBandProjectOldSchoolEdition20.1.jpg
BoyBandProjectOldSchoolEdition20.2.jpg
BoyBandProjectOldSchoolEdition20.8.jpg