Roy Gómez Cruz: I Want It All

Gary R. Beck

May 3, 2021, 5:35:34 PM5/3/21
to PV GT Google, PV OT/SS Google, PV OT/SS IO Group
Roy Gómez Cruz
I Want It All: The Freddie Mercury Show

Tonight, Roy becomes Freddie onstage without his Queen band members. The result was more focus on him and he seemed more self-assured in his role of this magically talented icon. He has led the tribute show all season called "Live Forever Queen" marked by his rapid energetic stage movements, arms toward the sky, back flat on the floor while holding the mic above his mouth.

The twin wall video screens alit simultaneously showing real clips of Freddie on concert stages and in TV interviews. The reality of the person contrasted wonderfully with the man on stage before everyone. Roy exclaimed "It's a beautiful day. I want it all!" He started with the show title tune which sums up Freddie's life: "I Want It All."

"Another One Bites The Dust" he exclaimed. Roy literally flies from one side to the other carrying his mic attached to a short stick. It enables him to lay down on the floor and point high up to the ceiling, unleashing a wild entertainer emulating Freddie Mercury's antics on stage. Roy absorbs Freddie's essence into his own being. They are one and the same.

Roy delivered a series of Queen’s greatest hits, igniting the audience with meeting a woman with a foreboding attitude in "Killer Queen": "Gunpowder, gelatine. Dynamite with a laser beam. Guaranteed to blow your mind." He exhibited respect but possibly a little fear of this female. Roy was bedecked by two acrobatic dancers Damián Mateo Erdocia and Maru Prado Conti who carried forth his red bejeweled crown on a pillow and wore the long white and red robe. Maru is the astonishing Lady Gaga here in tribute, a show to be seen. She is a singer, dancer and vocal coach from Argentina. Damián dances smoothly with her in that show. "Radio Ga Ga" ignited the audience into a choral display with Roy. He enjoyed the people singing along with him.

Freddie cried, "Don't Stop Me Now": "I'm floating around in ecstasy. So, don't stop me now
'Cause I'm having a good time." He exudes a sexy presence shouting "Having a good time?" Then he sang the ever-popular "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". "Do you want to sing with me?" Roy had the crowd echoing musical mumblings building to a crescendo. "Under Pressure" was a duet recorded with David Bowie and ran up the charts for good reason. The driving drum and soaring guitars mirrored the pressure involved in this song.

Settling on a chair, he sang the lovely ballad "Love of My Life" while the videos played a tape of Queen's lead guitarist Brian May playing accompaniment. The film clips showed Freddie discussing his AIDS diagnosis causing him to question his life and singing career. Wildly entering the room, Roy was coiffed with a huge wig, makeup, tight blouse, short skirt and a red vacuum cleaner singing "I Want To Break Free". Freddie decided to be himself asking all fans to accept his true feelings and being. No more hiding cover ups, seeming as a pinata was struck and spilled candy onto the floor.

But, one could surmise through much pondering, he declared that "The Show Must Go On". He led Queen to the stage and performed as long as he was able. The remarkable "Bohemian Rhapsody", a musical story, marked his and the group's creative style. This composition will live forever. "Do you like my show?", he asked rhetorically. "Are you having fun?" Roy took to the piano and sang "We Will Rock You" and the room was full of thunderous stomps. He is an accomplished musician and is at ease playing and singing strongly. The room went choral as they sang along with Roy's "Radio Ga Ga".

What better way to end this rousing night than "We Are the Champions" for which Queen is most well-known.
The screen showed a verbal quote from Freddie: "I don't want to be a star. I want to be a legend." Wish granted.

Find more photos on my Facebook Shows page below.

The Palm Cabaret
Olas Altas 508
Romantic Zone - Southside,  Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
21st Anniversary Season
Tickets:
www.ThePalmCabaret.com
322-222-0200/322-182-9656
The box office is open from 4-10pm.

A note from The Palm Cabaret management:  SAFETY FIRST, ENTERTAINMENT ALWAYS We have installed a new retractable roof for air flow and five new air filtration systems to take out old air and bring in fresh cool air. Patrons are protected by Plexiglas shields in front and on the sides of their personal seating area which is at minimum three meters from the stage. We have limited our capacity to sixty guests per show. Masks must be worn to your seats and to the restrooms. Masks may be removed upon entering your private Plexiglas area.
RoyGómexCruzIWantItAll21.1.jpeg
RoyGómexCruzIWantItAll21.4.jpg
RoyGómexCruzIWantItAll21.5.jpg