Sutton Lee Seymour: The Gayest Hits

Gary R. Beck

Jun 1, 2021, 11:12:03 AM6/1/21
to PV OT/SS IO Group, PV GT Google, PV OT/SS Google
Sutton Lee Seymour
The Gayest Hits

Celebrating her sixth season in Puerto Vallarta always to massive, safe crowds, she returns for Gay Pride Week, knowing there are so many buddies running around town, along the beach, into the bars, that their participation would not be complete without a stellar funny show from Sutton Lee. Enter her wild and wacky world of song and comedy combined with a little bit of dancing/body motion. Open your mind since one never knows what direction this character will turn: up, down and all around. The audience cannot prepare themselves for her crazed shows, so everyone has to go with her flow.

She entered clad glamorously in a dark shimmering dress enhanced with a floor length fluffy hot pink cloth boa/scarf which she swirled from side to side. "Happy Pride Everybody!" The Weather Girls opened this party with one of the 'gayest hits' of all time and Sutton Lee called upon everyone to sing along since the words were known by heart: "It's Raining Men". Hallelujah! She launched into a Disco medley including "Last Dance", "Bad Girls" and "I Will Survive".

"Late comers! We will start the opening number and do it again." Among her chats with the audience was one of sexuality. She found one heterosexual man, spotlighted him and picked on him all evening. She called out for Tina Turner and instead of the customary "Proud Mary", the song became "Proud Fairy". Being a writer, the lyrics are take-offs with funny results.

She opted for a mashup of two icons in the gay world Madonna and Lady Gaga since actually she said they are the same person in case one did not know. Madonna broke loose with "Material Girl", a mashup up with Lady Gaga "Born This Way". The video screens were edited marvelously to highlight the two women. They united for "Vogue" and we saw various photos of stars projected.

She says that she not a mean queen. She's been referred to as a 'sasshole'. Her reach is wide-ranging. Not only is she a delight in the LGBTQ community, the audience has faces from every road leading to Puerto Vallarta. Sutton Lee brings them out to every show resulting with attendees wowed and amused.

"This is my favorite part of the show. I get to sit down." She reminisced about her first encounters with musicals along with the father and sang the one which has stayed with her. She heard "The Origin Of Love" from "Hedwig And The Angry Inch" and has never been the same. Sutton Lee was under Disney employ on the Disney Gay Ships, er, Disney Cruise Line. Insultingly they chose her to be The Parrot! In reality, she fit another part much better. Ursula the Sea Witch spewed out "Poor Unfortunate Souls". Even though eerie, it was thrilling. "So sad, so true. They come flocking to my cauldron crying, "Spells, Ursula, please!" And I help them! Yes I do."

Suddenly, Judy Garland appeared, not to be shut out of the gay greatest hits and sang a mashup medley of a number of her famous tunes. You don't know "Get Happy"? How about "The Trolley Song"? Judy gushed with acceptance which at the time was not PC - politically correct. The two side video screens ran clips of her in various movies. "I'm forgetting a song," then the obvious one shot up "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and Sutton Lee was accompanied by a number of ladies singing a bit like Carol Channing, Bette Davis, Liza Minnelli, Katherine Hepburn, Cher and Barbra Streisand. She displayed her terrific ability to impersonate some very famous female gay icons.

Sutton Lee announced her first finale. She portrayed the two stars of Chicago but at the same time. Her dress and wig were divided into blond and black, so she turned one way and was Renee, then the other side she was Catherine. They sang together and took turns with a particular tune from the soundtrack. The crowd adored her comic geniusness.

Then, a second finale, surprise. Sutton Lee explained that during this pandemic, she has been cut from people, keeping busy with various online live feeds and she created a Zoom with her very best girlfriend, co-writer and co-director, Cacophony Daniels, an extremely popular and professional drag. They taped it as a duet and presented the two greatest gay hits ever, a mash up of "La Cage aux Folles": "I Am What I Am" and "The Greatest Showman": "This is Me". Hers was a stunning ending, but wait. Again, a stroke of genius and creativity. Every time you see Sutton Lee performing, you never know what to expect. That is part of the reason people come for show after show for years.

"Encore?", she asked. She finds it vastly easier to stay on the stage and answer the calls for More. Why walk off in these heels knowing you will be right back? But of course, it must be her namesake "Suddenly Seymour": "Is here to provide me. Sweet understanding, Seymour's my friend." Her theme sake song filled the room with soaring high notes, convincing the crowd that she is the best and must be visited again, as soon as the season allows.

Find more photos on my Facebook Shows page below.

The Palm Cabaret
Olas Altas 508
Romantic Zone - Southside, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
21st Anniversary Season
Tickets: www.ThePalmCabaret.com BoxO...@ThePalmCabaret.com
322-222-0200/322-182-9656
The box office is open from 4-10pm.

A note from The Palm Cabaret management:  SAFETY FIRST, ENTERTAINMENT ALWAYS The Palm has a new retractable roof for air flow. Customers will have plexiglass in front and sides of them, only 60 person Capacity (not 130), 5 new filter air systems to take old air out and fresh air in. Best in Cabaret Entertainment!
We all need to know what, exactly, is being done to protect our health everywhere we go these days. Here at The Palm, we are taking every precaution humanly possible to ensure the well being of our audience, performers and staff. For us, scrupulously following the usual protocols is just the beginning.
We have invested in a new, fresh-air-only air-conditioning system providing multiple ventilation routes.
Our roof now partially retracts, further magnifying the continuous circulation of fresh air.
A UV lighting system has been installed to disinfect the showroom daily.
All chairs have been recovered in a material conducive to sterilization immediately after every show.
A plexiglass shield helps protect you when seated.
Group seating is limited to four for your safety, with two meters between each one and at least three meters from the stage.
There are no intermissions, shows one hour in length to allow the time for re-sterilization.
Drink orders are taken upon arrival, your second drink appearing half way through the performance.
SuttonLeeSeymourGayestHits21.4.jpg
SuttonLeeSeymourGayestHits21.14.jpg
SuttonLeeSeymourGayestHits21.3.jpeg
SuttonLeeSeymourGayestHits21.14.jpg