Callbacks frequency increased

Dmitry Krasnoukhov

Nov 15, 2013, 8:04:08 AM11/15/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone else seeing a sudden increase in unnecessary pubsub callbacks from AppEngine-Google since ~7:50 UTC today?

Roman

Nov 15, 2013, 8:12:51 AM11/15/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dmitry,

Why do you think the callbacks are unnecessary? Could you give a couple of examples?

I see a slight increase in content distribution rate due to a bug fix recently deployed on Blogger. The difference is barely noticeable but if your subscriber happens to subscribe mostly to Blogger, you'd see a bigger difference.

Roman.

--

---

Dmitry Krasnoukhov

Nov 15, 2013, 8:22:40 AM11/15/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
As I can see from our logs, we got about 720 callbacks on this feed today: http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/familyguy
But it contains only one fresh post.

Do you need few more examples?

Roman

Nov 15, 2013, 8:23:58 AM11/15/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Dmitry Krasnoukhov <dmi...@krasnoukhov.com> wrote:
As I can see from our logs, we got about 720 callbacks on this feed today: http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/familyguy
But it contains only one fresh post.

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Do you need few more examples?

Not yet. I'll get back to you when I find out what's going on.

Roman

Nov 15, 2013, 9:41:50 AM11/15/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
I received a similar report from Feedly, so there is definitely something going on. I have an idea what it might be but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Dmitry, what's your callback URL for http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/familyguy?

Roman.

Dmitry Krasnoukhov

Nov 15, 2013, 9:46:15 AM11/15/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Ok, nice to hear that we're not alone.

Roman

Nov 15, 2013, 9:55:55 AM11/15/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure this isn't a callback for http://www.spoilertv.com/feeds/posts/default?

Dmitry Krasnoukhov

Nov 15, 2013, 10:02:11 AM11/15/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Oh, my bad. Yeah, it's for http://www.spoilertv.com/feeds/posts/default and I've talked about this feed.

Roman

Nov 15, 2013, 10:31:33 AM11/15/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
There were more than 25 articles published on http://www.spoilertv.com/feeds/posts/default today. Before the blogger fix, most of the articles would not be pushed in realtime; they would be batched in pairs or triples and sent later. After the fix every new post on blogger is pushed immediately.

Does it make sense? Do you see any updates that are indeed redundant?

Roman.

Dmitry Krasnoukhov

Nov 18, 2013, 7:40:20 AM11/18/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Hey Roman, thank you for clearing things up.

I've been checking and working on a fix past weekend.

We had a bug with pubsubhubbub subscribing that we've noticed along with increased callbacks number.

Now it's fixed and seems like nothing is redundant. Thanks again!

Dmitry Krasnoukhov

Nov 26, 2013, 9:13:31 AM11/26/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Hello again.

I'm seeing exact opposite problem starting from Monday 00:00 UTC. Callbacks number decreased at about triple.

Our logs showing that there are less requests from google hub. Here is our metrics:

Do you have ideas what's going on?

Roman

Nov 26, 2013, 9:28:17 AM11/26/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
All hub's vitals look normal. There is a slight drop in the number of feeds processed by the hub per second, but it's not as dramatic as on your graph.

Is it possible that many of your past subscriptions expired at about the same time? The only other explanation I have right now is that there was a changes in one of the big feed providers (such as blogger or feedburner), but that's just a guess.

Roman.

Dmitry Krasnoukhov

Nov 26, 2013, 9:38:47 AM11/26/13
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:28:17 PM UTC+2, Roman Perepelitsa wrote:
All hub's vitals look normal. There is a slight drop in the number of feeds processed by the hub per second, but it's not as dramatic as on your graph.

Is it possible that many of your past subscriptions expired at about the same time?

I don't think it's the cause. We're maintaining subscriptions accurately and constantly re-subscribing to them. But I will check this, thanks.

The only other explanation I have right now is that there was a changes in one of the big feed providers (such as blogger or feedburner), but that's just a guess.

Ok, let me know if you'll find out something. Thanks!