National Weather Service updates

Dave Benvenuti

May 15, 2014, 4:21:22 PM5/15/14
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've been trying to subscribe to updates from the National Weather Service via Pubsubhubbub, but don't seem to be getting any callbacks.  The initial verification seems to work fine.  On a dev server, I have a simple Rails app that listens for GETs and POSTS on a url.  In the case of a GET, it responds with a 200 status, and whatever was in the hub.challenge parameter for the body.   On the Pubsubhubbub subscription debugging tool, it looks like this:

Subscription Details

https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/us.php?x=0

Callback URL
http://my-callback-url
State
verified
Last successful verification
n/a
Expiration time
Tue, 20 May 2014 20:00:54 +0000
Last subscribe/unsubscribe request
n/a
Last verification error
n/a
Last delivery error
n/a
Aggregate statistics
0 delivery request(s) per second to dave.ping4inc.com, 0% errors

Last item delivered

Content received
n/a
Content delivered
n/a

(where "http://my-callback-url" is my actual callback url)

However, on Google Public Alerts (http://www.google.org/publicalerts), I've seen probably a couple of dozen updates come in from the National Weather Service, but I don't see the callback being called on my dev server in the logs.  Additionally, The Last Item Delivered, Last delivery error, Aggregate statistics on the Subscription Details debug tool don't seem to change.  I also thought it was odd that my state is verified, but the Last successful verification is n/a.  Is there anything I'm missing?  Thanks

Julien Genestoux

May 16, 2014, 5:00:38 AM5/16/14
to Pubsubhubbub
Dave,

Unfortunately, it looks like weather.gov does not support PubSubHubbub, which means you'll never get pings for their content.
I'd recommend you check out https://superfeedr.com which is a service that runs a "hub by default". You can subscribe to *an* feed and get notifications as if they were PubSubHubbub.

Cheers!
Julien

---