Pub-sub for microservices

Joe Campbell

Mar 17, 2015, 9:02:07 AM3/17/15
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Recently there's a trend to build an application using Microservices which place an emphasis on small processes.  There's also a move away from from using an enterprise bus - instead preferring communication over open/standard protocols.  This makes sense but I find myself wishing for a mechanism that publishes events [from one service to another] over http.

Could hubbub be used for pub-sub between two microservices that expose a restful (even odata) api?  Is there any support for security, retries, circuit-breakers etc?

Or would this lead to a yet another bloated middleware product?

Joe

Julien Genestoux

Mar 17, 2015, 2:31:46 PM3/17/15
to Pubsubhubbub
Joe,

Yes, I believe one could build microservices which "federate" using PubSubHubbub by subscribing to one another.

Security is baked in the protocol with signed content delivery (and the use of HTTPS). Retries are considered good practices (but not part of the spec).

I would argue that the most significant 'gotcha' is the use of HTTP which is a great protocol  for widely distributed architecture, but not necessarily the best to deal with high frequency messages (lots of overhead).
thanks

--

---