Re: [pubsubhubbub] How to setup a hub?

Julien Genestoux

Jul 5, 2012, 12:49:27 PM7/5/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Nate,

The Google App Engine hub is really intended at running on GAE. I'm not trying to discourage you from this, but there is a lot of complexity involve in doing so. There are other hub software in more languages that may be easier to implement/setup (specially if you're not experienced with GAE).
There are also hosted solutions.

Please tell us more about why you want to run a hub and we cna maybe point you to the best solution.

Thanks,

julien

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Nate A <arn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
I want to setup a hub locally to test my publisher and subscriber. I have found two pages with instructions how to setup a hub:
The first one in the pubsubhubbub wiki [1] and the second on [1] through a link on github [3].

The first one fails when I run
bash setup.sh

the second one in
Step 3. When I open “http://localhost:8080/

Can anybody give me instructions or a link to instructions on how to setup a hub for development?

[1] https://code.google.com/p/pubsubhubbub/wiki/DeveloperGettingStartedGuide
[2] http://www.liangeugene.com/2011/02/running-pubsubhubbub-on-ubuntu-10-04-python-2-6/
[3] https://github.com/marianoguerra/pshb-example/issues/1

Thank you
Nate

Martin B.

Jul 5, 2012, 4:14:58 PM7/5/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
I'd actually be also interested in this - so far I was only able to find the GAE Python-based implementation of the hub. I saw one other in Java, but not really interested, I doubt there are actually other Python implementations? (or maybe PHP, though that doesn't sound like a good fit to me).

Cheers

Martin B.

Jul 5, 2012, 4:26:46 PM7/5/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Feeling stupid as I just found http://code.google.com/p/pubsubhubbub/wiki/Hubs - the Twisted hub looks interesting, that would mean bye bye GAE and stuff like that straight away :D

PS. I see you have competition with Ayup ;)

Nate A

Jul 6, 2012, 11:04:23 AM7/6/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Julien,
thank you for your answer. I want to have a as simple to setup as possible hub which I need for locally testing my publisher and subscriber. I don't want to run the hub on the internet or under any heavy load.
I know the list in the wiki (http://code.google.com/p/pubsubhubbub/wiki/Hubs) but I don't want to try all of them to know which one fits my needs.

Thank you for your help and kind regards
Nate

Julien

Jul 6, 2012, 11:46:30 AM7/6/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com, pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Nate,
This is probably a lot of work for testing. Why don't you use one I'd the existing hubs?
To test the subscriber side, use and app like http://push-pub.appspot.com and them test the publisher side by using your own feed?

Thanks

--
Julien Genestoux

Sent from phone, please pardon brevity and typos.

Natanael Arndt

Jul 6, 2012, 12:06:40 PM7/6/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
I think testing the components locally is much easier than debugging my application on the web server.
I'm not searching for a hub which is running out of the box but where I have a step by step instruction how to set it up and which has the basic functionality of a hub.

If I take the list from the wiki:

App Engine: reference hub, you seams to be to hard to setup.
Superfeedr: hosted, so not what I want -> not good
WordPress: only running with wordpress as publisher -> not good
RabbitHub erlang: I don't really understand in which context this should run -> maybe
Wolverine python/twisted: seamy to be easy to use -> looks good
WebGlue ruby: seamy to be easy to use -> looks good
!Subfeedr perl: don't know what is meant by "proxy" -> maybe
PubSubHubbub-rb: don't know why it depends on nginx -> maybe
SubHub: Django integrated hub, no README file :-( -> maybe
Ayup: hosted, so not what I want -> not good

So there are 2 good hubs and 4 maybe hubs left, where I don't know how complete they are. Does anybody has experience with one of these hubs?

Nate

Martin B.

Jul 6, 2012, 12:12:33 PM7/6/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Hey Nate,

I'm using the Twisted one right now and it's awesomely simple and easy to use. Not function-complete though, as it doesn't have persistent storage implemented (all your subscriptions and data will be lost when you stop the process) and it doesn't have a polling mechanism (but subscribe and publish work nice and take no time to start running).

The GAE version is not that hard to run on your localhost either, once you have all the files, you just run one instance of dev_appserver and that's it. Would give it a try if you want something more complete. The local version won't support scheduled tasks either though - can only have that on the actual GAE server.

Good luck

Natanael Arndt

Jul 6, 2012, 12:15:14 PM7/6/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Hey Martin,
thank you for your quick and motivating reply. I think I will give Miyamoto a try and if I need more I will try to find out how GAE works.

Thank you
Nate

Julien

Jul 6, 2012, 12:28:03 PM7/6/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com, pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and of course you could test everything locally with an existing hub!

Ju

--
Julien Genestoux

Sent from phone, please pardon brevity and typos.

Julien

Jul 6, 2012, 12:27:30 PM7/6/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com, pubsub...@googlegroups.com
I guess I just don't understand what you're trying to achieve.
Let us know what you end up doing ;)

--
Julien Genestoux

Sent from phone, please pardon brevity and typos.

Natanael Arndt

Jul 7, 2012, 8:44:47 AM7/7/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,
I have installed miyamoto (wolverine) and started it with 'miyamoto -p 8123' but now I get an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./miyamoto", line 5, in <module>
    pkg_resources.run_script('miyamoto==0.0.2', 'miyamoto')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 499, in run_script
    self.require(requires)[0].run_script(script_name, ns)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 1235, in run_script
    execfile(script_filename, namespace, namespace)
  File "/home/natanael/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/miyamoto-0.0.2-py2.7.egg/EGG-INFO/scripts/miyamoto", line 11, in <module>
    from miyamoto.web import MiyamotoResource
  File "/home/natanael/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/miyamoto-0.0.2-py2.7.egg/miyamoto/web.py", line 6, in <module>
    from miyamoto import pubsub, stream
  File "/home/natanael/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/miyamoto-0.0.2-py2.7.egg/miyamoto/pubsub.py", line 9, in <module>
    from miyamoto import queue
ImportError: cannot import name queue

Do you know if I need some additional dependencies?

thank you for your help

Nate

Martin B.

Jul 7, 2012, 9:32:22 AM7/7/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Hey Nate,

Check https://github.com/progrium/wolverine/issues/1 :) there are two files that you need to add to the miyamoto folder (and then run setup.py again if you're doing that).. I'm not sure they are entirely needed, in fact I'm pretty sure the dependency can be removed from the code, but anyway..

Cheers

Natanael Arndt

Jul 7, 2012, 3:08:45 PM7/7/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,
thank you for this tip, the hub is starting now.

But I get an error when I try to publish something to it. I have filed and issue for this on github: https://github.com/progrium/wolverine/issues/3

Thank you for your help
Nate

Am 07.07.2012 15:32, schrieb Martin B.:
Hey Nate,

Nate A

Jul 8, 2012, 2:29:58 PM7/8/12
to pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Now I have tried wolverine [1] but because of issue #3 [2] I can't get further.
So I have tried to install webglue [3] where I get an error when it tries to install the SystemTime gem, so I cant get further there.
As third I wanted to try Subfeedr [4] but there are no instructions on how to install it.

Does anybody of run webglue or Subfeedr and can tell me how to install them?

(If you know any other hub implementations I'm willing to try them :-) )

Kind regards and thank you for your help
Nate

[1] https://github.com/progrium/wolverine
[2] https://github.com/progrium/wolverine/issues/3
[3] https://github.com/ocastalabs/webglue
[4] https://github.com/miyagawa/Subfeedr

Natanael Arndt

Aug 13, 2013, 2:39:31 AM8/13/13
to Isosceles, pubsub...@googlegroups.com
Am 13.08.2013 07:11, schrieb Isosceles:
> Hey, Nate, I was wondering if any of the hub implementation options
> ever worked for you?
In Addition to my last post I tried miyamoto (I don't know if it was [1]
or [2]) which I think was the best of the tested implementation but
still not working as I was expecting it to do.

Kind regards
Nate

[1] https://github.com/caedesvvv/miyamoto
[2] https://github.com/drewp/miyamoto