Thank you!

Leonard Fernandes

Oct 21, 2013, 6:55:22 AM10/21/13
to publish...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It was nice to see so many respond to our call to subscribe to this mailing list. We hope you will initiate topics of discussion too. If you attended the Frankfurt Book Fair, perhaps you could share your perspectives on that and what it could mean for your company in particular and Indian books in general.

Like we announced earlier, we are going to relaunch the Publisher's Post again this month. The Post is a compilation of articles reporting on various events that impacted the publishing industry in India. To subscribe to that list, you can use this url:
http://eepurl.com/F7hqH
. If you have news to report, kindly email us at writ...@thepublisherspost.com.

There is in fact much happening this month. Kobo announced that its platform would now be available in India through Crossword Bookstores and Croma. That means the opportunities available to Indian publishers to promote their eBooks has increased tremendously. While there was a platform always available for eBooks in the mobi format, a comprehensive platform for books in the epub format seemed to be lacking. Kobo seems to have stepped in at the right minute. This also means that there will be a need for developers of ebooks, those who can work with publishers and ensure that their concerns are addressed too.

In the "e space", there were two other newsworthy events that happened this month. The Goa University re-launched a four-volume Konkani encyclopaedia and announced its plan to upload it on Wikipedia so as to build the Konkani Wikipedia. Similarly, the Kerala Sahitya Akademi has announced its plans publish as many as 1,001 books that completed the copyright terms from its collection of books in a digitalised format soon. It seems like more publishers are warming up each day to the idea of developing and disseminating digital content. One can only hope the trend will continue.

Warm Regards,

Leonard Fernandes
Subscribe to The Publisher's Post
​​