When to schedule the VSS satellite?

Alex Holcombe

Feb 6, 2012, 11:01:54 PM2/6/12
to Publishing of Perception and Attention Research
See the scheduling constraints described below by Shauney. Thursday is
an option but obviously we'd like it closer to the meeting so more can
attend. I'm leaning towards Friday morning, just as Shauney suggests,
as the only other option is lunchtimes each day, which would be good
except it'd probably be best to meet before the VR Editorial Board
meeting. Perhaps we can come up with something specific that a VR
editor would be willing to bring up at the meeting.

Please let us know what you think and whether you could attend on
Friday morning. If you are generally interested in open science, you
might also be interested in attending the PsychoPy satellite which
will be on Thursday apparently (organized by Jon Peirce).

------message below from Shauney Wilson, the VSS
organizer--------------
The VSS meeting is quite full and we already have several “satellite”
events. We think the best time for this session would be Friday
morning before the symposia. There is already one other session that
morning (A Memorial to Davida Teller) from 10 – 12 pm. The symposia
start at 1:00.

The board won’t allow us to schedule an “open” satellite against the
regular program so the only other option is lunchtime which has been a
very successful time slot. Plus Saturday lunch is the Vision Research
Editorial Board meeting and Sunday lunch is the JOV Editorial Board
meeting. I don’t think you want to go at the same time as either of
these meetings.

There are two satellite workshops on Thursday this year so we believe
a lot of people will be coming in early. Let me know what you think
about Friday morning. We would be able to give you one of the symposia
rooms already set with a projector & screen, etc at no extra cost to
you.

Alex Holcombe

Feb 6, 2012, 11:06:39 PM2/6/12
to Publishing of Perception and Attention Research
Clarification: in my message I was talking about lunchtimes after
Friday, but perhaps Friday at 12pm would be very good if we can get
it. Maybe people should nominate their #1 and #2 preference. I'd
suggest Friday at 12 and Friday at 11. Nominally we could schedule the
session for one hour but we could probably continue the conversation
elsewhere for those interested.

Alex Holcombe

Feb 6, 2012, 11:36:05 PM2/6/12
to Publishing of Perception and Attention Research
More confusion sorry, this time because of a mistake in the email from
VSS: she says she meant to say "lunchtime has NOT been a very
successful time slot."
So for me, that suggests Friday at 11. Could consider Friday at 9, but
that's probably too early for people. But Friday lunchtime is
different from the other days in that people aren't on schedule and
over jet-lag yet, so maybe Friday at 12 is ok.

-Alex

Jonathan Peirce

Feb 7, 2012, 7:16:01 AM2/7/12
to publishpercep...@googlegroups.com
Friday at 11 sounds good to me.

I'm not sure that a lunch one sounds too bad though if needed. There was
a python talk one year in a lunch break and that was reasonably well
attended (I'd guess 100 people). The keen ones will come.

Jon

--
Jonathan Peirce
Nottingham Visual Neuroscience

http://www.peirce.org.uk

Alex Holcombe

Feb 8, 2012, 6:45:17 PM2/8/12
to Publishing of Perception and Attention Research
OK, seems I should write back to VSS and ask for Friday at 11am.
I'll ask whether we can have the room from 11 am to 1 pm, but thinking
that we would advertise it as going from 11 to 12, with possibility of
discussion continuing.

Next we'll need to work on what will go in the conference program- the
title of the satellite and what the content will be. I'm still
thinking of one or two 10-15 minute talks followed by discussion. But
the discussion should perhaps have some agenda items and be partly
scheduled. I'll post about that on the agenda items thread.

Alex

On Feb 7, 11:16 pm, Jonathan Peirce <jonathan.pei...@nottingham.ac.uk>
wrote:
> [...]

Alex Holcombe

Feb 10, 2012, 10:46:48 PM2/10/12
to Publishing of Perception and Attention Research
The satellite is now officially scheduled for 11am. We have the room
until 12pm, because VSS says they need an hour to clean up the rooms
and have them ready for the VSS events (symposia I believe) that begin
at 1pm.

We now need to finalize the title and compose a blurb (50 – 75 words
with a link to more information if you like) and contact information,
but I'll also post that to the agenda thread of this group, as
otherwise those who surf in (rather than receiving the emails) may not
find it.
-Alex