OpenScienceECVP and continued planning of the VSS satellite

Alex Holcombe

Apr 1, 2012, 7:57:41 PM4/1/12
to Publishing of Perception and Attention Research, dwight....@nih.gov, andrew....@nasa.gov
Lee de-Wit has led the organization of a potential event at ECVP,
which has now been submitted for consideration by the ECVP organizers.
Please see a description of the proposed event below. ECVP has
leapfrogged us with such a full line-up covering all the issues; they
have proposed a two-hour session.

Some good news for our one-hour session at VSS is that Dwight Kravitz,
author (with Chris Baker) of the excellent "Toward a new model of
scientific publishing: discussion and a proposal" (http://
www.frontiersin.org/Computational_Neuroscience/10.3389/fncom.2011.00055/full)
has agreed to speak.

How long should people speak, and should we try to recruit an
additional speaker in addition to Dwight and I? Dwight has said that
his talk length is flexible. I could speak for a very long time on
these topics, indeed I gave a 60-minute talk locally here last week
(http://www.slideshare.net/holcombea/woolcock-institute-20-mar-2012).
We also want to have time for discussion, so I'm not sure we should
get an additional speaker. Ideally something concrete would come out
of the discussion, like a position statement with implications for
what the journals in our field should do, but perhaps the time is too
short for that.

I think Amye Kenall on the economics and practicalities of publishing
and open access would be great, if she agreed to speak, but perhaps
that would mean the time for discussion would be very short. In any
case I'm hoping that people will want to keep discussing beyond the
bounds of the hour and that we should try to set up an informal get-
together later in the meeting, perhaps poolside.

------------------ECVP proposal

Title: A Vision For Open Science
Organizers: Lee de-Wit, Deborah Apthorp and Nick Scott-Samuel
-University of Leuven, University of Sydney, University of Bristol.
Symposium Overview: Technology has changed radically in the last 15
years, but many of our research practices have not. From the way we
access and publish journals to the way we share data or code (or
don’t), we have enormous potential to enhance and accelerate the pace
of research. Science should surely be at the forefront of innovation,
not lagging behind it, and yet the culture of research has changed
very slowly, if at all. This symposium will explore a variety of
options that modern technology offers to facilitate the openness,
transparency and efficiency of doing and publishing research. The
discussion will focus on current problems, ideal solutions and ways to
get there.

Contributions:
Nick Scott-Samuel: Why have so many academics decided to boycott
Elsevier?
-University of Bristol (20min)
Amye Kenall, Tim Meese and Peter Thompson: Open access and author
owned Copyright.
-Pion, Aston University, University of York (20min)
Deborah Apthorp: Publication bias, the File Drawer Problem, and how
innovative publication
models can help.
-University of Sydney (20min)
Jonathan Peirce: Open source programming and code sharing.
-Nottingham University (30min)
Ian Thornton: Exploiting modern technology in making experiments: the
academic app store.
-University of Swansea (15min)
Lee de-Wit: Does rewarding that which is easy to measure lead to
better science?
-University of Leuven (15min)