RTBF and global jurisdiction case now open for amicus letters. Do we want to draft one?

1 view

Lorena Jaume-Palasí

Sep 21, 2017, 11:17:50 AM9/21/17
to Dynamic Coalition on Publicness
Dear all,
the French Data Protection Supervisor is bringing google to the highest Court of the European Union because they claim that deletion should be global (until now google simply deleted from EU domains and geo-blocked EU searches). The court is now opening a two months period where organizations can send amicus letters positioning themselves on this issue.
This case will certainly have a huge impact on speech regulation and access to information everywhere and will certainly not only rescind to the right to be forgotten.
So my question to you all: would you be interested in writing together an amicus letter? Anyone volunteering to join a drafting group?
Warm regards,
Lorena

Gabrielle Guillemin

Sep 21, 2017, 11:36:20 AM9/21/17
to Lorena Jaume-Palasí, Dynamic Coalition on Publicness, barbora
Hi Lorena and all,

ARTICLE 19 and others intervened in this case at domestic level. Our understanding is that it is difficult to intervene before the CJEU if you were not a party to the proceedings at domestic level.

We will be looking to make fresh submissions before the CJEU once the notice of referral is published in the official journal. Our understanding is that there is a 2 months window from publication. Here is a link to our submission before the Conseil d'Etat: https://www.article19.org/data/files/medialibrary/38567/Google-CNIL-Final-Submission.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Sep 21, 2017, 11:46:27 AM9/21/17
to Gabrielle Guillemin, Lorena Jaume-Palasí, Dynamic Coalition on Publicness, barbora
Hi Lorena & Gabrielle, all:

Last November, the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (RCFP) led a coalition of 29 media organizations in drafting a brief about the case, arguing that French authorities have no right to force their interests on Internet users in other countries, and allowing such worldwide restrictions in the interest of enforcing domestic law would lead many other countries to try to restrict Internet access.

I am not opposed to issuing a statement, but I think it will be good to coordinate with other organizations (such as RCFP and ARTICLE 19).

Best,
-Michael

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 7:36 PM, Gabrielle Guillemin <gabr...@article19.org> wrote:
Hi Lorena and all,

ARTICLE 19 and others intervened in this case at domestic level. Our understanding is that it is difficult to intervene before the CJEU if you were not a party to the proceedings at domestic level.

We will be looking to make fresh submissions before the CJEU once the notice of referral is published in the official journal. Our understanding is that there is a 2 months window from publication. Here is a link to our submission before the Conseil d'Etat: https://www.article19.org/data/files/medialibrary/38567/Google-CNIL-Final-Submission.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Lorena Jaume-Palasí

Sep 21, 2017, 12:40:27 PM9/21/17
to Gabrielle Guillemin, Dynamic Coalition on Publicness, barbora
Dear Gabrielle, dear Michael,
thanks for your prompt responses. Any organization, company, etc. is free to send an amicus curiae to the court. There are no formal requirements for an amicus curiae, but it should be short (one pager). Afaik there are a few consortia of organizations which have already sent a letter. So indeed, it would make sense to see if there are additional angles or arguments that can be added and try to avoid repeating the same (although there is some value when different actors repeat the same points). Since we are an intersdisciplinary group, the letter could be less formal from the legal point of view. I additionally think that the UN IGF DC background of the letter (also talking about the impact globally with voices from all continents) may bring a special accent into it.
But of course, it is up to the group.
Regards
Lorena

Hi Lorena and all,

ARTICLE 19 and others intervened in this case at domestic level. Our understanding is that it is difficult to intervene before the CJEU if you were not a party to the proceedings at domestic level.

We will be looking to make fresh submissions before the CJEU once the notice of referral is published in the official journal. Our understanding is that there is a 2 months window from publication. Here is a link to our submission before the Conseil d'Etat: https://www.article19.org/data/files/medialibrary/38567/Google-CNIL-Final-Submission.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Sep 22, 2017, 4:19:19 AM9/22/17
to kyungsinpark, Dynamic Coalition on Publicness, Gabrielle Guillemin, barbora
Dear Barbora, all
yes, there is a possibility to send a letter supporting one party (no third party additional interests) based on Art. 40 of the Protocol on the Estatute of the CJEU

Article 40
Member States and institutions of the Union may intervene in cases before the Court of Justice. The same right shall be open to the bodies, offices and agencies of the Union and to any other person which can establish an interest in the result of a case submitted to the Court. Natural or legal persons shall not intervene in cases between Member States, between institutions of the Union or between Member States and institutions of the Union. Without prejudice to the second paragraph, the States, other than the Member States, which are parties to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, and also the EFTA Surveillance Authority referred to in that Agreement, may intervene in cases before the Court where one of the fields of application of that Agreement is concerned. An application to intervene shall be limited to supporting the form of order sought by one of the parties.

The Court has proved to treat the concept of "interest" very broad admitting positions from associations and even non registered entities representing public interest. Of course we do not have the chance to put a third position into the table, but merely to side up with one of the parties (and put pressure on public interest aspects).
I like KS suggestion, to readapt the letter.
What do you think?
Regards
Lorena

Lorena, I agree with you on, instead of reinventing the wheel, salvaging the joint letter and adapting to the litigation purpose.  One of the strongest arguments on CNIL case is that RTBF varies by country and is often a choice of ethics than rights/law and therefore one country’s delisting decision should not be blown up in its effect to delist from users in all other countries.  Our joint letter I think shows clearly that RTBF is matter of ethics and policy, not rights or law.  If anyone does a draft, I will jump in and contribute.  -- KS

Lorena Jaume-Palasí

Sep 22, 2017, 5:13:50 AM9/22/17
to Barbora Bukovska, kyungsinpark, Dynamic Coalition on Publicness, Gabrielle Guillemin
Dear Barbora,
you are referring the Art 42 to contest a judgement, so yes, to contest a judgement you need the judgement to happen first. The basis of art. 40 is a different one, it is about intervention to side up with a party, not about contestation. So a letter can be sent in advance within the 2 month period that will be opened to send positions to Member States etc. making clear why we as a party have a legitimate interest and taking side on one position (I quote the end of the Art. 40. " An application to intervene shall be limited to supporting the form of order sought by one of the parties. The sentence makes clear that this intervention must necessarily happen in advance. So we do have a chance to send a letter as long as it complies with the requirements stipulated in Art. 40.
Warm regards
Lorena

Lorena, hi,
there are no basis in the court proceedings for your proposal. Might be good to check the whole Rules of the Court, in particular Article 157 on the third party proceedings.
You should check also the CJEU Statute (Article 42)
"Member States, institutions, bodies, offices and agencies of the Union and any other natural or legal persons may, in cases and under conditions to be determined by the Rules of Procedure, institute third-party proceedings to contest a judgment renderedwithout their being heard, where the judgment is prejudicial to their rights."

Under the Rules of the Court (Article 157), the third party proceedings/amicus by others are only permitted once the CJEU decided the case and this happens only 2 moths after the CJEU issued a judgement and it is published it in the Official Journal. After this, the third party can request to intervene if this decision is prejudicial to their rights.

At this stage, the case is in the Opinion procedure in which only "parties" to the case (as determined by domestic courts) can intervene. The section you refers to only applies when the CJEU actually decides the case and then, only if it can be determined that it is prejudicial to your rights.

Best
Barbora

Sep 22, 2017, 10:19:43 AM9/22/17
to Lorena Jaume-Palasí, Barbora Bukovska, kyungsinpark, Dynamic Coalition on Publicness, Gabrielle Guillemin
For the record Lorena, I support sending a message, and would be happy to help draft or at least edit one.

Best,
-Michael

Lorena Jaume-Palasí

Sep 22, 2017, 10:46:50 AM9/22/17
to Michael J. Oghia, Barbora Bukovska, kyungsinpark, Dynamic Coalition on Publicness, Gabrielle Guillemin
Dear Michael,
noted, many thanks.
Dear Barbara,
yes, there are different cases - there are also positive cases, where the letters were accepted (like e.g. in the case of the italian consumer initiative against the French sugar company), specially when based on art.40. It does depend on the when (not to contest the decision, but to side a position during the process), whether there is a public interest case in there, whether the party is siding with one of the concerned two parties or offering a third position - not viable-, who are the parties of the case (not possible if among MS only or MS and EU institutions). In any case my question would be: is it worth to give it a try and write a one pager or should we focus on other things?
The coalition was created on the ocassion of the RTBF, because it is having a global impact. Now the CNIL case is definitely about global jurisdiction and if the answer is a yes, this will also apply for any other digital regulation (and will be a precedent for many countries). Imo writing a letter is within the scope and goals of the coalition, but this is simply my personal opinion and I appreciate very much this conversation we are having, because I think it is important.
So after all things considered, I would be happy to hear you all here and see whether we want to risk to write a one pager or rather focus on other aspects, which is also fine, since we have a lot to do until Geneva.
Looking forward for your feedback,
Lorena

Renata Aquino Ribeiro

Oct 3, 2017, 9:16:52 PM10/3/17
to Dynamic Coalition on Publicness
Hi

It's a great idea for the DC to be involved in amicus briefings

Bestbits.net has just had a revamp as well and maybe we can post the DC Statement for sign on or other materials if the group thinks it is a good idea

Thanks

Renata Aquino Ribeiro

Oct 4, 2017, 7:47:18 AM10/4/17
to kyungsinpark, Dynamic Coalition on Publicness
Thanks KS

Will do that then and post when it is ready

Em 4 de out de 2017 1:50 AM, "Kyung Sin Park" <kyungs...@korea.ac.kr> escreveu:
Yes on posting!

Sent from my iPhone

Aida Noblia

Oct 4, 2017, 9:29:47 AM10/4/17
to Renata Aquino Ribeiro, Dynamic Coalition on Publicness
+1
Aída

Aida Noblia

Amanda Yi Tzu Lu

Oct 5, 2017, 9:13:57 PM10/5/17
to Aida Noblia, Renata Aquino Ribeiro, Dynamic Coalition on Publicness
I am also interested !

Cheers,
Amanda
0933629312