pm2.5 data collection

Glen C.

Oct 1, 2016, 5:09:45 PM10/1/16
to publicla...@googlegroups.com

Hello.  I am a teacher with an envt science course for non-majors.

I would like to put a PM2.5 data collection device onto a weather balloon.  Do you know where I may find such a device?  It should log the data onto an SD card, which I would retrieve after the balloon pops.  There is already GPS, temp and pressure sensing on board, as part of the balloon kit.

I am looking for advice on how to overcome the confounding of the sensor in conditions of low temperature and pressure, and other conditions caused by high altitude.
Would you happen to have some experience to share on this?

Thank you for your time again.

Glen Chung

Stevie Lewis

Oct 11, 2016, 3:41:51 PM10/11/16
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality
Hi Glen,
Looping in the air-quality group.
-Stevie

--
Post to this group at publiclaboratory@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science" group.

Wig Zamore

Oct 11, 2016, 7:51:17 PM10/11/16
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality
Just a small point Glen, which you may already know since you have thought to include meteorology on board, but the biggest driver of many regional air pollution levels tends to be the atmospheric boundary layer, with traps also an issue.  The boundary layer is generally low in morning and during temperature inversions.  With the turbulence created by solar warming, post sunrise, the boundary layer tends to rise rapidly during the day, expending the total area in which pollutants may be dispersed and thereby decreasing effective density.  Of course, photochemical action also helps create new secondary PM2.5 as organics get oxidized and denser, increasing partitioning to PM, midday or a little later.  Since this takes time it can be considerably downwind of the sources.  This plus geographic traps, like mountains, is basically an important reason why San Bernardino Riverside is so polluted to the east of LA.  Again, you may already know all of this but perhaps some on the list do not.

Regards, Wig

laure...@hotmail.com

Nov 2, 2016, 11:30:55 AM11/2/16
to The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science
Dear Glen,

I'm Lauren from Shanghai.I am a product manager. I worked with Autodesk BIM team before to build a smart helmet for construction workers, which is aimed to provide a smart health tracking device.

We developed the product to integrate the noise sensor, PM2.5 sensor and motion sensor to track if the worker falling in a dangerous area...

At that time, I researched some low cost PM2.5 sensor module from the market.
I recommend to use this laser PM2.5 air quality sensor, which is laser tech based, accurate and cost affordable.

https://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&search=air+quality+&description=true&product_id=1272

Hope it's helpful.

Best,
Lauren

Amirber

Nov 6, 2016, 9:15:30 AM11/6/16
to The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science
Here is a fb post with various options for air quality monitoring.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2639535732?view=permalink&id=10153822461055733

Amirber

Nov 6, 2016, 9:15:32 AM11/6/16
to The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science
Hi there,

A while ago a friend told me about the MyPart project, it is really impressive - mostly the way they worked on the UI and UX.

http://www.hybrid-ecologies.org/uploads/project/paper/9/mypart.pdf

There is also a small team in IL who are interested in thees kind of measurements, one of them is a high school teacher who is interested in putting the sensor on a balloon I can connect you with.

Amir

Janis...@lu.lv

Nov 7, 2016, 9:13:52 AM11/7/16
to publicla...@googlegroups.com
MyPart descriotion is really cool.
Some years ago I did a project:

https://www.element14.com/community/community/design-challenges/in-the-
air-design-challenge/blog/2015/02/08/in-the-air-challenge-laser-based-dust-c
ounter-using-a-photodiode

Date sent: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 01:01:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Amirber <ami...@gmail.com>
To: The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science
<publicla...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [PLOTS] Re: pm2.5 data collection
Send reply to: publicla...@googlegroups.com
--
Post to this group at publicla...@googlegroups.com

Groups "The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science" group.
email to publiclaborato...@googlegroups.com.

Dr. Janis Alnis
Institute of Atomic Physics and Spectroscopy
University of Latvia, 19 Rainis Blvd
Riga LV-1586, Latvia

al...@latnet.lv
GSM +371 27463408
http://www.asi.lv/New/en/laboratories.htm

Amirber

Nov 7, 2016, 12:49:04 PM11/7/16
to The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science
Thank you Janis,

I remember looking at this project a while ago, it is really impressive and clearly of high quality. I was thinking of trying to reproduce something similar, but use a combination of RGB LEDs. My idea was that plotting the maximal intensity from the 3 wavelengths would provide better estimate for the particle size than from just one of them (based on scattering string department of wavelengths). I also intended to see if it is possible to"observe" in a scattering angle close to 180° where the intensity of reflection expected increase.
Add I said, those were just plans I didn't have time to test, but hope to try them out some day.

Janis...@lu.lv

Nov 8, 2016, 9:11:11 AM11/8/16
to Amirber, publicla...@googlegroups.com
Hello Amireb,

thanks for nice words about my blog. This summer I had a bachelor student
who wanted to duplicate my laser dust counter, but it appeared to be to
difficult for him: need a laser diode mount with heat sink, focusing
adjustment, and several appertures, beam dump, laser current regulator,
photodiode amplifier, light-tiught box, a fan, Arduino ...
3D printed box is actually a good idea.

About LEDs.
Mobile phone white LED is enough to clearly see dust flying near the phone
in a dark room.

There could be a difficulty to focus LED light to a tight spot. If you use a
photodiode as a detector you want to focus light tightly, that you don't hit
many particles at the same time. It is much easier to focus laser.
LEDs are usually used in places where is a lot of dust, for example in smoke
detectors.

Blue light scatters more than green and more then red (Lambda^2 law). I
clearly see particles by eye flying in green and blue laser beams, but in red
need higher beam power.
Different colors would be good for particle size identification. But most
amateur devices often just divide everything in small particles pm2.5 and
large particles pm10.

Greetings,
Janis.

Date sent: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 09:49:04 -0800 (PST)