Aerial Sensing with LIDAR-Lite

andrew...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2015, 4:58:34 PM7/10/15
to publiclab...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,
I've been working on a couple of remote sensing projects that might be of interest to people in the vicinity.

My primary project at this time is related to my long-term goal for developing a low-cost mapping drone (http://publiclab.org/notes/code4maine/08-05-2014/aerial-mapping-drone-for-under-60) and is meant to be an interim test-bed for sensors and flight controls that will eventually be incorporated into the long term design. A dedicated research note is forthcoming, but basically I am putting the finishing touches on a GPS waypoint-enabled quadrotor equipped with an auto stabilized camera gimbal and a dedicated sensor platform based on a Raspberry Pi. Most importantly, I am integrating a LIDAR-LITE (http://pulsedlight3d.com/) sensor into the platform for which I am hoping to use OpenDroneMap as a post-processing suite. While not necessarily as capable as a full, research-grade LIDAR unit, the LIDAR-Lite's capabilities are nevertheless very impressive.
I will be testing its ability to map 3D terrain features, but there are many other applications it could potentially be used for. Forest-canopy penetration is one of the better-known uses of LIDAR, but living in such close proximity to the coast, I'm always looking for possible applications in a marine context. As luck would have it, a google search turned up this research at UNH-http://marine.unh.edu/lidar involving the use of LiDAR in marine mapping. If anybody in the vicinity is interested, do let me know and perhaps we can work on something together. I have a research note dedicated to a low-cost LIDAR at- http://publiclab.org/notes/code4maine/09-28-2014/options-for-low-cost-lidar.

The second remote sensing project I'm working on is also in the maritime domain. I am trying to build a buoyancy-driven submersible device based on a design created for a school program called the "SeaGlider". Documentation and discussion for this project can be found at- http://publiclab.org/notes/ajawitz/06-17-2015/question-would-the-thermal-fishing-bob-concept-work-as-a-seaglider-robot

Again, do let me know if this would be of use in any other projects in the northeast.

Looking Forward to Getting into some FieldWork!
Andrew Jawitz