LEAFFEST 2014

Chris Fastie

Aug 25, 2014, 11:23:39 PM8/25/14
to publiclab...@googlegroups.com, plot...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-i...@googlegroups.com, plots-or...@googlegroups.com, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com
If you are near Vermont, please be part of LEAFFEST 2014.

  • WHAT: An annual meetup to refine Public Lab tools and brainstorm new ones.
  • WHEN: September 13 and 14 (Saturday and Sunday).
  • WHERE: Chris’s house in Salisbury, Vermont.
  • HOW: Bring a tent and stay the whole weekend. There will be lots of food.
  • WHY: Because Public Labbers like to make things better (and also like camping and eating).

Public Lab Organizers Chris Fastie and Ned Horning will be hosting the gathering. The agenda includes at least four projects:

  • The Oil Testing Kit: Jeff Warren will lead a work session to improve the light gathering performance and precision of the new fluorescence spectrometry kit.
  • The Riffle: Don Blair will lead a field deployment of Riffles and calibration sensors to explore the capabilities of this emerging water quality sensor.
  • Infragram calibration: Ned Horning will lead a work session to test protocols for producing calibrated NDVI values from infrared photos taken by single- and dual-camera infrared systems.
  • Your suggestion: You will request that we organize a session about an existing or potential Public Lab tool that you would like to learn about or try or tell others about.

Registration details and more information are here:  http://publiclab.org/notes/cfastie/08-26-2014/l-e-a-f-f-e-s-t

See you at LEAFFEST 2014,
Chris

Jennifer Hudon

Aug 27, 2014, 12:26:51 PM8/27/14
to plots-...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, plots-nyc, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-i...@googlegroups.com, plots-or...@googlegroups.com, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! I filled out the form and plan to be there. Do you need help with any of the preparation?

I'm looking forward to being able to attend this year -- I've heard so many great things about past LEAFFESTS!

Thanks,
Jen

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---

Jennifer E. Hudon
c: 978.302.7908

Jeffrey Warren

Aug 27, 2014, 2:19:53 PM8/27/14
to plot...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-i...@googlegroups.com, plots-or...@googlegroups.com, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com
super duper! I'll be there for sure, with a tent. Anyone want to carpool up Friday night thru Sunday?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-nyc" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/plots-nyc/CAOCoEdzAPH9PhuNJDoUGHa6KQ-t7T95Ekzyw_VF%3Di74mAZYO5A%40mail.gmail.com.

Chris Fastie

Aug 27, 2014, 3:31:02 PM8/27/14
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, plot...@googlegroups.com, plots-i...@googlegroups.com, plots-or...@googlegroups.com, plots-spe...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com
Jen, It's great that you can come. There is not much preparation to do unless people need help arranging rides. The ride share document is a minimal tool, but if everyone signs up there I think folks should be able to do the rest. Let me know if you think there is more we should do to organize everyone.

Leonard, Yes everyone is welcome to attend. Just sign up and stay in touch so we know how to prepare.

And we should gradually consolidate this thread to the publiclab-northeast list.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Fastie

Sep 5, 2014, 12:50:27 PM9/5/14
to publiclab...@googlegroups.com, plots-or...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, plots-i...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com
I posted a note describing some new mapping rigs complete with infrared cameras for sale at the KAPtery. This is the 2014 LEAFFEST Line of rigs which uses official Maryland colors to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Baltimore which falls on LEAFFEST weekend. It all makes perfect sense.

Don't forget to register for LEAFFEST.

Chris

Chris Fastie

Sep 8, 2014, 10:09:28 PM9/8/14
to publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Ben Gamari, Craig Versek, Don Blair, Chris Fastie, Jeffrey Warren, Jen....@gmail.com, Katie Gradowski, Laura Dietz, Mary Martin, Galen Fastie, Ned Horning

Hi LEAFFESTERS,

I wanted to make sure that everybody who needed one was able to find a ride to LEAFFEST. There are lots of people coming from near Boston, but only a few folks are on the rideshare doc. So if you are looking for a ride or can take riders, add your info to the doc.

It looks like just about everyone will be staying Saturday night, so that makes food planning easy. If your plans change or are confirmed or refined, please update the registration doc so we know who will be here when (especially for Saturday breakfast or Sunday dinner).

There will be plenty of tent space on the lawn, so add your name to the registration doc in the next day or two if you think you can join us. My primary goal for the weekend is to get some aerial photos of my lawn covered in tents.

I don’t have addresses for a few of the folks who expressed interest in LEAFFEST, but I think they are part of the Parts and Crafts cabal, so maybe Katie can get this to Kate Sokol, Brian Browne, Ina Shkurti, and Will.

Thanks,

Chris

Above: LEAFFEST Luau Location

Jennifer Hudon

Sep 8, 2014, 10:20:01 PM9/8/14
to Chris Fastie, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Ben Gamari, Craig Versek, Don Blair, Jeffrey Warren, Katie Gradowski, Laura Dietz, Mary Martin, Galen Fastie, Ned Horning
Hey Chris -- Can you give viewers the ability to edit on the sign up sheet? I want to update my plans to "I am planning to be there."

Also, what time do you suggest people arrive on Saturday morning? And do you need/want any food contributions from attendees? I'm happy to bring something to share.

I'm looking forward to this weekend!

Best,
Jen

Chris Fastie

Sep 8, 2014, 10:34:31 PM9/8/14
to publiclab...@googlegroups.com, cfa...@gmail.com, bga...@gmail.com, cve...@gmail.com, donb...@gmail.com, jywa...@gmail.com, Ka...@partsandcrafts.org, di...@cs.umass.edu, Mary....@unh.edu, galen....@gmail.com, hor...@amnh.org, jen....@gmail.com
Thanks Jen, all can edit now.

Some of us will arrive Friday evening, so stuff will be happening all morning on Saturday. So anytime on Saturday morning is fine. There is no fixed schedule yet, but if you arrive too late on Saturday, some of us could be off towing Riffles or kites (or both). The important thing is to let us know when you hope to arrive so we know what to expect.

There is no reason to bring food (then it wouldn't be local) but you are welcome to bring your favorite treat, and I think we will find something to do with it.

Thanks,
Chris

Above: This became sauce two days ago, and could be part of LEAFFEST dinner.

Liz Barry

Sep 9, 2014, 10:10:54 PM9/9/14
to Chris Fastie, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Ben Gamari, Craig Versek, Don Blair, Jeffrey Warren, Ka...@partsandcrafts.org, di...@cs.umass.edu, Mary....@unh.edu, Galen Fastie, Ned Horning, Jennifer Hudon
What a great crew!
Wish i could be there!
Chris, i love that you include Conflict Negotiator as your subtitle.

Looks like you have 12 signed up so far, and i've heard from a few more that are planning to attend as well (ahem, a certain J*** W*****)

Liz Barry
director of community development
@publiclab

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/wiki/mailing-lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---

Chris Fastie

Sep 9, 2014, 10:19:57 PM9/9/14
to publiclab...@googlegroups.com
It's a good thing there will be a conflict negotiator there because the fine print stipulates that food and drink rations are severely reduced for those who fail to pre-register.

Chris Fastie

Sep 11, 2014, 8:21:13 PM9/11/14
to publiclab...@googlegroups.com, bga...@gmail.com, cve...@gmail.com, donb...@gmail.com, cfa...@gmail.com, jywa...@gmail.com, Jen....@gmail.com, Ka...@partsandcrafts.org, di...@cs.umass.edu, Mary....@unh.edu, galen....@gmail.com, hor...@amnh.org, r...@rjsteinert.com, teddy...@gmail.com
Ned and I brought two of his boats to my house today so we can efficiently launch a Riffle expedition from here. That expedition is likely to happen on Sunday morning when the weather will be better and the Riffle barges for towing behind the canoes have been designed and constructed. So be prepared for some boating. If you have a good logging GPS receiver, that might come in handy too. And a float vest if you have a favorite and sufficient room for it. Sunday might not feel like summer, so you might want boots instead of Tevas for boating.

I have heard that the things coming to LEAFFEST include a professional spectrometer, a quadcopter (or two) with infrared camera, and some prototype Riffle spin-offs.  But I suspect that I haven't yet heard about the half of the amazing things that will show up.

I will do the food shopping and start cooking tomorrow (Friday), so if you know of someone who is not on the Google sign-up doc, tell them that they have until Friday morning to sign up or eat beets and celery root only, all weekend. (Really, I need to know who's coming)

Some folks will arrive Friday evening, so the action starts early on Saturday. To help us plan Saturday morning activities, it would be good to have ETAs for everyone. So I added an ETA column to the Google doc. Please add something there when you know, or message me somehow.

See you soon,

Chris

#leaffest2014

Stevie Lewis

Sep 12, 2014, 11:55:43 AM9/12/14
to Chris Fastie, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, bga...@gmail.com, cve...@gmail.com, Don Blair, Jeffrey Warren, Jennifer Hudon, Ka...@partsandcrafts.org, di...@cs.umass.edu, Mary....@unh.edu, galen....@gmail.com, Ned Horning, r...@rjsteinert.com, teddy...@gmail.com
Have a fabulous time this weekend! Wish I could be there. Looking forward to research notes about it :).
-Stevie