Sept 18/19: Env Justice Conference at Niagara Falls + Toxic Tour of Love Canal

2 katselukertaa
Siirry ensimmäiseen lukemattomaan viestiin

Liz Barry

lukematon,
7.8.2015 klo 9.23.047.8.2015
vastaanottaja plots-nyc, plots-...@googlegroups.com, plots-pr...@googlegroups.com, plots-phi...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Jackie James-Creedon, Bronwen Densmore
Hey NYC/NJ-ers,

Looking ahead to September, there's a great conference happening up at Tonawanda September 18/19.

TonaWHERE? In upstate New York, right between Great Lakes Ontario and Erie where Niagara Falls is, near our Canadian friends:

Inline image 1

TonaWhy? Because the Western New York Environmental Justice Alliance along with a lot of other folks (Jackie Creedon!) won a landmark 2013 verdict against a polluting coke plant -- only the second time in US history that a company has been indicted and convicted under the Clean Air Act. And because it's right by Love Canal, "Quite simply, Love Canal is one of the most appalling environmental tragedies in American history." - EPA, 1979 http://www2.epa.gov/aboutepa/love-canal-tragedy

TonaTherefore: a Toxic Tour is planned for Friday September 18 to hear directly from the folks involved in these situations (and also to see Niagara Falls):

Inline image 3

I am potentially interested in coordinating ground travel from NYC/NJ. Maybe Bos/Prov folks might like to arrange something as well. Write back with interest and we can see what develops.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Liz Barry

lukematon,
10.8.2015 klo 12.12.1510.8.2015
vastaanottaja Liz Barry, plots-nyc, plots-...@googlegroups.com, plots-pr...@googlegroups.com, plots-phi...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Jackie James-Creedon, Bronwen Densmore
Resending this! I'd love to plan some travel with a small crew to go up north.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
@publiclab

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

lwol...@gmail.com

lukematon,
10.8.2015 klo 13.00.5510.8.2015
vastaanottaja plots-pr...@googlegroups.com, Liz Barry, plots-nyc, plots-...@googlegroups.com, plots-phi...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Jackie James-Creedon, Bronwen Densmore
Hi all,
I'd be very interested in carpooling with folks from the Boston- Prov area to go to Tonawanda on Friday 9/18 in time for the tour and back to Boston on Saturday after the conference. I have a Toyota Prius that could comfortably seat 4 ( 3  + the driver) .

Lynn

Lynn Reale Wolbarst

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Liz Barry <l...@publiclab.org> wrote:
Hey NYC/NJ-ers,

Looking ahead to September, there's a great conference happening up at Tonawanda September 18/19.

TonaWHERE? In upstate New York, right between Great Lakes Ontario and Erie where Niagara Falls is, near our Canadian friends:

<Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 9.02.18 AM.png>

TonaWhy? Because the Western New York Environmental Justice Alliance along with a lot of other folks (Jackie Creedon!) won a landmark 2013 verdict against a polluting coke plant -- only the second time in US history that a company has been indicted and convicted under the Clean Air Act. And because it's right by Love Canal, "Quite simply, Love Canal is one of the most appalling environmental tragedies in American history." - EPA, 1979 http://www2.epa.gov/aboutepa/love-canal-tragedy

TonaTherefore: a Toxic Tour is planned for Friday September 18 to hear directly from the folks involved in these situations (and also to see Niagara Falls):

<Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 9.09.08 AM.png>

I am potentially interested in coordinating ground travel from NYC/NJ. Maybe Bos/Prov folks might like to arrange something as well. Write back with interest and we can see what develops.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
@publiclab

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---

Liz Barry

lukematon,
30.8.2015 klo 18.24.4230.8.2015
vastaanottaja Lynn Wolbarst, plots-pr...@googlegroups.com, Liz Barry, plots-nyc, plots-...@googlegroups.com, plots-phi...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Jackie James-Creedon, Bronwen Densmore
Lynn,
Did you get any takers?

From NYC, the $62 each way train tickets look too good to pass up, but they would only bring someone as far as Buffalo.

Now there's also the OpenHardwareSummit in Philly on this same weekend, but it looks like at least Bronwen (who is from the area) and I will be traveling up from to Tonawanda.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
@publiclab

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

Vastaa kaikille
Vastaa kirjoittajalle
Välitä
0 uutta viestiä