Re: [PLOTS] West Penobscot Bay: Kevin Frech presents his Azavea funded forest mapping study.

1 view

Liz Barry

Aug 21, 2015, 11:27:24 AM8/21/15
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Frech, Christiaan Adams
Hi Ron,
Thank you for these audio recordings!

Kevin, How wonderful that you were able to focus on Penobscot Bay this summer through Azavea Summer of Maps. Where are the maps and report now? Can we make a place on publiclab.org to feature Kevin's work?

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:26 PM, Ron Huber <coast...@gmail.com> wrote:
Listen to Ken Frech's report on west Penobscot Bay forest changes (mp3s)

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Ron Huber <coast...@gmail.com> wrote:
Our Summer of Maps fellow Kevin Frech finished up his talk a few hours ago - and what a revealing talk it was!

A lot more forest being cut down and replaced with impervious surfaces along the western Penobscot Bay  coast in Maine, than anyone thought.
It can be hard to notice, because individual forest losses are often small,  expanding into forests not only along  the main US Route 1 corridor but also into the forests along smaller roads. But under Kevin's analysis, these were identified and then made visible via his great graphics.
A heck of a lot of info and we only beginning to reflect on it.

Here are a couple of  pictures of Kevin laying it out. Details and more pictures later.
Thanks Kevin! And  a big thanks to Liz Barry,  Sean McGinnis, Tyler Dahlberg, and ll the others who participated in large ways or small.

Ron Huber for
Friends of Penobscot Bay

--
Post to this group at publicla...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science" group.

Kevin Frech

Aug 21, 2015, 11:55:11 AM8/21/15
to Liz Barry, publicla...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Christiaan Adams
Liz and Ron,

Im currently working on wrapping up the final report and maps and will be delivering them in a large zipfile package on Monday August 24th. This will include the maps, all the data I used and created, the final presentation, and a final report. Let me know what kind of file transfer service would work best. We have an FTP service here at Azavea that I can upload everything too which would probably be the most efficient method.

Kevin

Liz Barry

Aug 21, 2015, 12:11:41 PM8/21/15
to Kevin Frech, publicla...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Christiaan Adams
Hi Kevin,
FTP is great, no problem. I can't wait to see it all!!
Also, tho, we want to encourage you to post directly to publiclab.org under your own username so you can be visible to the community (and get appreciated :)

Currently, this page exists: http://publiclab.org/wiki/maine

What about posting everything to someplace like http://publiclab.org/wiki/penobscot-bay ?

What do you think Ron?

--

Liz Barry
director of community development
@publiclab

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/wiki/mailing-lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---

Ron Huber

Aug 21, 2015, 12:52:58 PM8/21/15
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, Liz Barry, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Christiaan Adams
Thanks Kevin.
FTP works for us.
I also have video of your presentation, though shot from an oblique angle
Ron

Ron Huber

Aug 21, 2015, 1:42:08 PM8/21/15
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Frech, publiclab...@googlegroups.com, Christiaan Adams
A Penobscot Bay-focused public lab wiki sounds a good  idea

I could then move the GAC Chemical info over into it (success with GAC, by the way:  cleanup imminent -  took 15 years to get them to  this  point!)