Re: [PLOTS] Oil spill in the south of Israel

Liz Barry

Dec 8, 2014, 12:40:36 PM12/8/14
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com
Copying regional list publiclab-jerusalem, please reply all.

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Amirber <ami...@gmail.com> wrote:
Several days ago a rather large oli leak (~5 Million liters) had happened in the Arava, some 15 Km north from the gulf of Eylat - home to one of the world's northernmost coral reefs. over the last week work was done to collect as much of the oil but it would seems there still is oil covering dry river beds which may be flooded tonight. this could possibly be one of the greatest environmental disasters in recent year in Israel.

an article about the spill:

Video

Anyone with me for a road trip with the aerial mapping + spectrometer kit? Hagit?

Amir

--
Post to this group at publicla...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science" group.

Jeffrey Warren

Dec 8, 2014, 1:28:50 PM12/8/14
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that's a big spill -- I managed to find the site in google imagery, right where you said, north of the town of Eilat (Lat: 29.6924246012, Lng:34.9939721307); and took a couple frames from the airplane video to stitch on.

The photos were *very* oblique, so it's not great, but I managed to find some patterns of vegetation to use and actually think it's an OK stitch. But MapKnitter did something with the contrast of the images, so they look blown out. This screen grab from the stitching interface itself is better:

Inline image 1

Hagit Keysar

Dec 8, 2014, 3:33:04 PM12/8/14
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amir

Yes,
I know that it wasn't declared as a no-fly-zone and I wonder what aerial images were already created.
I also have a spectrometer, I can bring it with me.

Shai, or anyone else from the Jerusalem list, would you like to join?

Hagit

Jeffrey Warren

Dec 8, 2014, 3:43:06 PM12/8/14
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com

Bring some small glass jars to collect samples in!

Post to this group at grassroo...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "grassrootsmapping" group.

zemer sat

Dec 8, 2014, 4:13:26 PM12/8/14
to Hagit Keysar, publicla...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com
dear Hagit and team

I wish you all good luck
Please keep updating

Best regards,

   Zemer

Dec 8, 2014, 6:32:25 PM12/8/14
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com
do you need oil testing kit supplies? do you have a 405nm laser?  contact kits@publiclab for supplies you need.

Nir Yariv

Dec 9, 2014, 3:43:19 AM12/9/14
to Hagit Keysar, publicla...@googlegroups.com, grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com

When are you guys planning to go? Would love to join your expedition if it works out.

In any case, I'd be happy to help with processing/publishing the data online.

- Nir

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Publiclab-Jerusalem" group.

Shai Efrati

Dec 9, 2014, 3:43:20 AM12/9/14
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, publiclab...@googlegroups.com
Well, unfortunately i can't join today and tomorrow.
Let's talk towards Thursday if you won't go there earlier.

Shai.