Is it ok to hit this API every 4.5 seconds

226 views
Skip to first unread message

umair...@gmail.com

unread,
Dec 20, 2018, 10:38:31 AM12/20/18
to public-ntp-discuss
I would like to ping time.google.com every 4.5 seconds in my application to see if i am able to reach the API. Is it fine ?

Michael Shields

unread,
Dec 20, 2018, 12:08:14 PM12/20/18
to umair...@gmail.com, public-ntp-discuss
Can you tell us more about your problem? Why do you need to detect
unreachability so quickly?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 7:38 AM <umair...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to ping time.google.com every 4.5 seconds in my application to see if i am able to reach the API. Is it fine ?
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "public-ntp-discuss" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to public-ntp-disc...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to public-nt...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/public-ntp-discuss/e804c365-5cdb-4d3d-b6fd-ddea4497c92c%40googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

umair...@gmail.com

unread,
Dec 21, 2018, 2:51:16 AM12/21/18
to public-ntp-discuss
I have issues in relying on the navigator.onLine to see whether I am connected to the network. I am in the process of building a web application to handle chats.
I need to be sure that the client is connected to the network for creating better experience.


On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 10:38:14 PM UTC+5:30, Michael Shields wrote:
Can you tell us more about your problem?  Why do you need to detect
unreachability so quickly?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 7:38 AM <umair...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to ping time.google.com every 4.5 seconds in my application to see if i am able to reach the API. Is it fine ?
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "public-ntp-discuss" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to public-ntp-discuss+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Michael Rothwell

unread,
Dec 21, 2018, 8:03:18 AM12/21/18
to umair...@gmail.com, public-ntp-discuss
When you say "ping", what do you mean, exactly?
An http get?
An NTP request?
An actual ICMP message?

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 8:51 AM <umair...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have issues in relying on the navigator.onLine to see whether I am connected to the network. I am in the process of building a web application to handle chats.
I need to be sure that the client is connected to the network for creating better experience.

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 10:38:14 PM UTC+5:30, Michael Shields wrote:
Can you tell us more about your problem?  Why do you need to detect
unreachability so quickly?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 7:38 AM <umair...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to ping time.google.com every 4.5 seconds in my application to see if i am able to reach the API. Is it fine ?
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "public-ntp-discuss" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to public-ntp-disc...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to public-nt...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/public-ntp-discuss/e804c365-5cdb-4d3d-b6fd-ddea4497c92c%40googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "public-ntp-discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to public-ntp-disc...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to public-nt...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


--
Michael Rothwell

umair...@gmail.com

unread,
Dec 21, 2018, 8:34:03 AM12/21/18
to public-ntp-discuss
An ICMP using node-net-ping 

https://github.com/nospaceships/node-net-ping

It would be great, if this is permitted.


On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 6:33:18 PM UTC+5:30, Michael Rothwell wrote:
When you say "ping", what do you mean, exactly?
An http get?
An NTP request?
An actual ICMP message?

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 8:51 AM <umair...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have issues in relying on the navigator.onLine to see whether I am connected to the network. I am in the process of building a web application to handle chats.
I need to be sure that the client is connected to the network for creating better experience.

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 10:38:14 PM UTC+5:30, Michael Shields wrote:
Can you tell us more about your problem?  Why do you need to detect
unreachability so quickly?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 7:38 AM <umair...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to ping time.google.com every 4.5 seconds in my application to see if i am able to reach the API. Is it fine ?
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "public-ntp-discuss" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to public-ntp-discuss+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to public-nt...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/public-ntp-discuss/e804c365-5cdb-4d3d-b6fd-ddea4497c92c%40googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "public-ntp-discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to public-ntp-discuss+unsub...@googlegroups.com.


--
Michael Rothwell

Michael Shields

unread,
Dec 21, 2018, 1:22:46 PM12/21/18
to umair...@gmail.com, public-ntp-discuss
It seems that you want to know whether your chat server is reachable,
not whether Google Public NTP is reachable. Why not ping the server
directly?
Message has been deleted

syed

unread,
Dec 23, 2018, 7:49:51 AM12/23/18
to public-ntp-discuss
It costs me bandwidth and the need to configure the application availability in multiple regions for faster network detection. I would like to use public open NTP URLs which are already configured to handle. Is it fine to hit the google public NTP? 
Thanks for replying.

Michael Shields

unread,
Dec 27, 2018, 12:22:58 PM12/27/18
to syed, public-ntp-discuss
time.google.com is intended for time service, not connectivity testing.

You might consider using Chrome's method:
https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/network-portal-detection

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 4:49 AM syed <umair...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It costs me bandwidth and the need to configure the application availability in multiple regions for faster network detection. I would like to use public open NTP URLs which are already configured to handle. Is it fine to hit the google public NTP?
> Thanks for replying.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "public-ntp-discuss" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to public-ntp-disc...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to public-nt...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/public-ntp-discuss/c92b2afa-4f9a-4719-bfc6-4bb74031eee3%40googlegroups.com.

syed umair

unread,
Dec 27, 2018, 10:25:02 PM12/27/18
to Michael Shields, public-ntp-discuss
Thank you very much for sharing that URL. If you don’t mind can you confirm whether it’s ok to hit the API mentioned in the post for every 4.5 seconds. Because I don’t see any SLA or documentation for this.

Thanks again.

Michael Shields

unread,
Dec 28, 2018, 12:45:49 PM12/28/18
to syed umair, public-ntp-discuss
There is no SLA, sorry. Connectivity testing is not a service we offer.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/public-ntp-discuss/3B90794F-81B0-4C9D-8673-D17687C7862D%40gmail.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages