Neighborly DC Input Gathering on Nov. 19? Before Public Media Camp

Steven Clift

Nov 2, 2010, 11:25:22 AM11/2/10
to neigh...@forums.e-democracy.org

I am planning to be in DC for Public Media Camp on Nov. 20-21.

On Friday, Nov. 19 in the afternoon I'd like your input to help shape the open source "Neighborly" social enterprise proposal.

In short, Neighborly will support dynamic private electronic block clubs connecting interested nearest neighbors. The low cost non-profit model will connect to the public via interested media outlets, local governments, and community groups. The model will be positioned to complement the thousands of often public "Locals Online" spaces and hopefully help grow the participation rate across the field.

Details and online working group from:
   http://e-democracy.org/neighborly

This effort is also being informed by our online inclusion work which is building diverse online engagement in low income, high immigrant neighborhoods:
    http://e-democracy.org/inclusion

Drop me - cl...@e-democracy.org - a note if you'd like to join us or if you'd like to provide input another way. Put "Neighborly DC" in subject.

I've been saddened to see how negative politics as usual has come to dominate the use of the Internet and social media across the political spectrum. With so much energy and resources put toward political warfare online, we need to counter that with online efforts that bring together people from different perspectives where common interest can be found. My bet (and experience with our public Neighbors Issues Forums) is that this can and must be done locally to have any chance of success. If it is not done locally, the Internet will be known as the medium that only connects friends and families in private life while dividing communities and the nation to extremes in public life.

Steven Clift
Executive Director, E-Democracy.org