Introducing BabyLegs, a DIY trawl for microplastics (and much more!)

Public Lab

Jun 24, 2019, 12:15:35 PM6/24/19
to ever...@publiclab.org
Are there microplastics in your local waterways? How many? What kind? This pair of baby tights can help you find out! BabyLegs is a DIY research net (or trawl) for monitoring plastic pollution, especially microplastics, in surface water. Created with a pair of baby’s tights, soda bottles, and other inexpensive and easy-to-find materials, it can be used to monitor floating microplastics from the surface of the water in your local ocean, lake, river, stream, or canal.

No Images? Click here

NEW ON PUBLICLAB.ORG

INTRODUCING BABYLEGS

 BabyLegs photo by David Howell for MEOPAR

Are there microplastics in your local waterways? How many? What kind? This pair of baby tights can help you find out!

BabyLegs is a DIY research net (or trawl) for monitoring plastic pollution, especially microplastics, in surface water. Created with a pair of baby’s tights, soda bottles, and other inexpensive and easy-to-find materials, it can be used to monitor floating microplastics from the surface of the water in your local ocean, lake, river, stream, or canal.

Partnering with Dr. Max Liboiron and CLEAR Lab, we just launched the BabyLegs Kickstarter campaign. Back now and get rewards including a sea globe to show off your finds and our Community Microscope to analyze your catch! READ MORE

MAPKNITTER: COMMUNITY ATLAS PROJECT

Some of you (especially in our coding community) have noticed the major increase in work on our MapKnitter.org map-making website over the past few months. With support from Google, we have launched a new pilot project to make it easier than ever for communities to build their own "community atlas." Using MapKnitter and the PublicLab.org platform, we'll be helping a new generation of community mappers to use kites and balloons to create their own "Community Atlases" with our open source tools, and to tell stories about local issues from environmental problems to community projects. READ MORE

WELCOMING NEWCOMERS

Over the past couple years, Public Lab has hosted a weekly Open Call every Tuesday for people to talk about everything from nuanced local environmental issues to big scale changes across geopolitical landscapes. This Tuesday call slot has done a lot!

That being said, we're adding something new! Starting next week, Public Lab is launching a Newcomers Welcome Call, hosted every Tuesday in the 15 minutes leading up to Open Call. Join us to get acquainted and explore pathways for getting started with the community! READ MORE

JOINING THE TEAM

We're excited to welcome Jess Wright to our team as Business and Operations Manager! With a background in finance, volunteer management, and operations, Jess is deeply connected to finding meaningful ways to engage team members while maintaining efficiency and productivity. Jess is a lover of systems, MacGyver of tools, and believer in the power of a solid spreadsheet.

Before joining the team at Public Lab, Jess held management roles in tech nonprofit and human rights nonprofit organizations. Jess loves to travel and spend time outdoors and will soon be on the road in a custom built home-on-the-road visiting every national park and every state.

KEEP IN TOUCH!

Stay up-to-date on Public Lab and community events by adding our Google Calendar! Have feedback or an idea for something we should include in future newsletters? Send us an email at newsl...@publiclab.org and let us know!

FacebookTwitterYouTubeInstagramWebsite
Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science
publiclab.org
You are seeing this email because you signed up to receive newsletters from us. You may unsubscribe at any time, but we'd hate for you to miss out on exciting news and promo codes! And since this newsletter is for you, please consider contributing feedback before unsubscribing.