How do I check if I am indeed using Google Public DNS

galacticninja

Jan 21, 2011, 5:28:19 AM1/21/11
to public-dns-discuss
How do I check if I am indeed using Google Public DNS?

I've already configured both my router and my PC (Windows 7) to use
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers. My ISP may or may not be using a
transparent proxy which could affect usage of DNS, so I would like to
know for sure if I am indeed using Google Public DNS instead of my
ISP's default DNS server.

I accessed this website - http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/aboutyou/
which claims to tell the DNS server that is being used and it says:
Your DNS server(s) are:
209.85.228.82 [DNS_ID=0x0000 TTL=52 srcport=64911 Non-recursive ]
195.229.240.254 [DNS_ID=0xbcf4 TTL=55 srcport=20213 Non-recursive ]

Alex Smith

Jan 21, 2011, 6:24:01 AM1/21/11
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention that you'll need to click the ? on there which will tell you who own's the IP's - it won't show the 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8. in the results. A glance again at the ones you posted indicates they are Googles.

Kind Regards,

Alex Smith

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:21, Alex Smith <al...@alexsmith.me> wrote:
If you head over to http://myresolver.info it'll show you what you are currently using.

Kind Regards,

Alex Smith

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns

Lance

Jan 22, 2011, 7:57:36 AM1/22/11
to public-dns-discuss
Open a Command prompt (from the start menu search box, type in cmd)
Then type in ipconfig /all
You will see all your locally configured network information. Simply
scroll through and look for the DNS lines. It will tell you what
your computer is configured for.

On Jan 21, 5:28 am, galacticninja <intergalacticninj...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> How do I check if I am indeed using Google Public DNS?
>
> I've already configured both my router and my PC (Windows 7) to use
> 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers. My ISP may or may not be using a
> transparent proxy which could affect usage of DNS, so I would like to
> know for sure if I am indeed using Google Public DNS instead of my
> ISP's default DNS server.
>
> I accessed this website -http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/aboutyou/

galacticninja

Jan 22, 2011, 5:31:35 AM1/22/11
to public-dns-discuss
Thanks for this.

On Jan 21, 3:21 pm, Alex Smith <a...@alexsmith.me> wrote:
> If you head over tohttp://myresolver.infoit'll show you what you are
> currently using.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Alex Smith
>
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:28, galacticninja <intergalacticninj...@gmail.com
>

> > wrote:
> > How do I check if I am indeed using Google Public DNS?
>
> > I've already configured both my router and my PC (Windows 7) to use
> > 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers. My ISP may or may not be using a
> > transparent proxy which could affect usage of DNS, so I would like to
> > know for sure if I am indeed using Google Public DNS instead of my
> > ISP's default DNS server.
>
> > I accessed this website -http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/aboutyou/
> > which claims to tell the DNS server that is being used and it says:
> > Your DNS server(s) are:
> > 209.85.228.82     [DNS_ID=0x0000 TTL=52 srcport=64911 Non-recursive ]
> > 195.229.240.254   [DNS_ID=0xbcf4 TTL=55 srcport=20213 Non-recursive ]

Alex Smith

Jan 22, 2011, 9:07:24 AM1/22/11
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
Just as a pointer, if your using your router for DNS it will not show. That only works if it's been applied on the local computer and only on Windows.

Kind Regards,

Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Jan 21, 2011, 6:21:58 AM1/21/11