Fwd: Google Public DNS now offers DNS-over-HTTPS

Shen Wan

Apr 1, 2016, 2:43:30 PM4/1/16
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
Dear users,

In 2009 we launched Google Public DNS to provide a fast, reliable, and secure DNS service to Internet users around the world. Today, we are pleased to announce that Google Public DNS now offers DNS resolution over an encrypted HTTPS connection. DNS-over-HTTPS greatly enhances privacy and security between clients and recursive resolvers, and complements DNSSEC to provide end-to-end authenticated DNS lookups.

Your application can access the API at https://dns.google.com/resolve?name=example.com. The DNS response is encoded in JSON. Please read the details of the API at https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/dns-over-https#api_specification.

You may also visit dns.google.com to try resolving a domain. The result page there also contains information to help debug domain and nameserver configuration problems.

The API and the UI are in beta and subject to changes. To report a bug or request a new feature, please submit a ticket at https://code.google.com/a/google.com/p/public-dns/issues/entry.

Thanks,
Shen

Aaron Peters

May 27, 2016, 4:16:54 PM5/27/16
to public-dns-discuss

Have you considered supporting DNSCrypt?

- Aaron

Shen Wan

May 27, 2016, 4:20:46 PM5/27/16
to public-dns-discuss
We are aware of DNSCrypt. Before it becomes a standard or gets adopted by significant portion of clients, we do not intend to support it.