Domains under tk, ml and ga are not resolvable in most part of North America and Asia Pacific

Lu Zhao

Jan 18, 2022, 4:31:30 PM1/18/22
to public-dns-discuss
Dear Google Public DNS users,

We are aware of a problem resolving domains under tk, ml and ga  TLDs
from our serving locations in North America and Asia-Pacific regions. At the moment we do not have a definite root cause but we will update once we have more information.

We are using https://issuetracker.google.com/214911324 to track public communication of the problem.

-Luke
On behalf of Google Public DNS

pun...@google.com

Jan 19, 2022, 12:58:48 PM1/19/22
to public-dns-discuss
https://b.corp.google.com/issues/214911324#comment15

Our monitoring confirms that the issue is resolved and domains in the affected ccTLDs are resolving now.

Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues resolving names in these ccTLDs. Provide the domain affected and the location where the problem is happening.

Lu Zhao

Jan 25, 2022, 5:54:55 PM1/25/22
to public-dns-discuss

The outage was caused by a bad BGP announcement that directed a large portion of DNS queries from North America and Asian Pacific to Hong Kong, where the TLD auth servers could not handle the query volume from Google Public DNS. Based on our internal probing and monitoring, the bad BGP route announcement was published around 2022-01-17 2:32pm. The external reports came in about 5 hours later. After investigation and communication with the TLD operator, the problem went away around 2022-01-19 3:40 pm PST after the BGP route announcement was fixed.

We’re evaluating the internal alerting system and identifying potential improvements so that similar problems can be identified earlier and resolved faster in the future.

gid...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2022, 5:40:33 PM3/7/22
to public-dns-discuss
This issue is now back again. All ML domains seem to fail to resolve

Mayank Bhagya

Mar 14, 2022, 9:53:51 AM3/14/22
to public-dns-discuss
+1. I have a CF domain. That also fails to resolve.
All these (ML, GA, TK, CF) are provided by Freenom DNS.

Stephen Vanderwarker

Jun 28, 2022, 7:48:08 AM6/28/22
to public-dns-discuss
Also getting this in June.

Fabrício Ceolin

Jun 28, 2022, 7:48:18 AM6/28/22
to public-dns-discuss
The issue is back again:

$ dig +short google.ml @8.8.8.8
$ dig +short google.ml
142.250.218.227
$ dig +short a.ns.ml @8.8.8.8
$ dig +short a.ns.ml @1.1.1.1
185.21.168.1

Claus Mattsson

Jun 28, 2022, 8:52:47 AM6/28/22
to public-dns-discuss
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/214911324#comment36

If you still have a problem resolving TLDs operated by Freenom (even via
Google), please reach out to Freenom directly. They have the ability to fix
the problem.