8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 is returning SERVFAIL for 5 of my domains --- how to expire the cache?

Larry Rosenman

Feb 14, 2022, 1:22:09 PMFeb 14
to public-dns-discuss
I had a problem on my MASTER DNS server for a bit, and I've since fixed it.  HOWEVER 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. is STILL  returning SERVFAIL after 3 days.  This is preventing GMAIL and others from getting mail to me or using my services.

How do I get google ops' attention to fix this?

Lu Zhao

Feb 14, 2022, 1:34:36 PMFeb 14
to public-dns-discuss
Hi Larry,

You can flush the cache entries at https://dns.google/cache. If the problems can not be resolved after the cache flush, please share us the error details like output of the commands you run in the diagnostic tests (https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/troubleshooting).

Thanks
Lu

Larry Rosenman

Feb 14, 2022, 1:35:11 PMFeb 14
to public-dns-discuss
I figured it out.  I needed to dnssec-signzone my zones, and up the SOA serial number.  Cloudflare's servers gave me the hint with EDE errors explaining what's going on.  It would be nice(tm) if google's resolver would send EDE messages.

Larry Rosenman

Feb 15, 2022, 9:07:26 AMFeb 15
to public-dns-discuss
I didn't know about https://dns.google.com/cache.  That's good to know.  The problem was  my zones were partially signed and weren't validating.  CloudFlare's 1.1.1.1 gave EDE (enhanced error) messages telling me EXACTLY what was wrong.  It would be nice if Google's resolver returned the enhanced messages.