Outlook.com not accessible via 8.8.8.8

alex zhang

Jul 25, 2022, 1:48:11 PM7/25/22
to public-dns-discuss
A number of our client having issue reach outlook.com or open the Outlook app when DNS set to 8.8.8.8.

The issue got resolved by change it to 1.1.1.1

Something wrong with Google DNS since last friday ?

Lu Zhao

Jul 25, 2022, 2:38:08 PM7/25/22
to alex zhang, public-dns-discuss
There was nothing wrong with Google Public DNS last Friday based on our internal monitoring. Could you provide more information about the issues? Please see this page for detailed guidance. Thanks

alex zhang

Jul 25, 2022, 3:21:13 PM7/25/22
to public-dns-discuss
some other MSP reported that might be related with Geo-Filter blocked that Google DNS route the Outlook.com to Australia site (at least partially) for US west cost request.

Still investgation.

Phil L.

Jul 29, 2022, 10:17:32 AM7/29/22
to public-dns-discuss
We are seeing this too.

Google insists on returning Australia dns records for outlook.office355.com for west coast US customers while cloudflare returns San Jose or Arizona correctly.  This leads to connextiviry issues.

Phil L.

Jul 29, 2022, 10:17:35 AM7/29/22
to public-dns-discuss
Many Microsoft customers are seeing this issue as well.

If you query outlook.office365.com from Google dns query page, you get Melbourne Australia results.  Cloudflare correctly returns saj Jose or Arizona.

This causes connectivity issues. @Lu can you advise why this is? Happening all week.

Puneet Sood

Jul 29, 2022, 10:38:26 AM7/29/22
to Phil L., public-dns-discuss

Can you file a bug using the "Domain Problems" template at https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/groups#issue_tracker? An example dig query with incorrect answer (and 1.1.1.1 correct answer) will be helpful. Also mention the client IP.

I am seeing some indication that different nameservers for "outlook.ha.office365.com" are returning EDNS client subnet targeted responses in a single metro. Having some real user subnets and query results will help confirm this. It may be helpful to contact Microsoft support to check if they are returning correct answers to Google resolver IPs listed at https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq#locations_of_ip_address_ranges_google_public_dns_uses_to_send_queries.

-Puneet