Google DNS server occasionally return DNS response with SOA

Sun Wai Liew

Mar 21, 2024, 1:36:08 PMMar 21
to public-dns-discuss

Hi, We have VMs on GCP and Azure that are using Google DNS servers ( 169.254.169.254 for GCP internal, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for Azure) for DNS resolution.

We have these DNS A records created/hosted on DNS provider Constellix starting around Dec 2023 - Jan 2024 timeframe),

We noticed that occasionally Google DNS server returns response with type SOA and no answers section for these DNS records above. This causes our workload on the VM to fail when it happens. Please refer to the attachment for detail.

After contacting our DNS provider Constellix and raising a support ticket, they suspect that the problem is not on their ends. They receive many reports of Google's name servers reporting inaccurate values for configured records at the authoritative level. May I confirm whether this is the case? regards,

Sun Wai

dns.pcap

Sun Wai Liew

Mar 21, 2024, 1:36:28 PMMar 21