All *.cars domain are having DNSSEC issue

Patryk Szwałek

Nov 17, 2021, 3:31:04 PM11/17/21
to public-dns-discuss
Since few days, my visitors started complaining about website accessibility, which drastically went down for all visitors using Google DNS. I started digging and spent almost half a day looking for an answer, what is causing that issue.

I figured out that ​every *.cars domain (dozens were checked) have problem with Google DNS (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4).

When using these DNS, I can randomly (sometimes, not always) get DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN on *.cars domain (including mine) - every single domain I checked have that issue when using Google DNS.

I am pretty sure that's the DNSSEC difficulty - many of these domains were checked by me on DNS.GOOGLE website, which the results were often "DNSSEC validation failure".

I want to notify, that issue not always happen - sometimes my main domain bid.cars works fine, while few or all subdomains don't and after few minutes subdomains start working and main domain stop and so on.

I asked my friends (to check other ISPs) to set Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) and to type "site:*.cars" in Google and to click first 10 websites with .cars domain - most of them results DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error. So the problem is global and refers to every .cars website.