Google DNS test page

Charlieccm

Dec 5, 2009, 11:19:54 AM12/5/09
to public-dns-discuss
OpenDNS has a test page for users to test whether they are using their
service. It is at http://www.opendns.com/welcome.

Can Google DNS have a similar test page? Better still, maybe it can
show the location of the Google data center we are connected to so
that we can know whether it is close to us or the other side of the
world.

supermario3

Dec 6, 2009, 11:31:59 AM12/6/09
to public-dns-discuss
That's a great idea!

Ollie84

Dec 6, 2009, 11:35:10 AM12/6/09
to public-dns-discuss
The tool "Namebench" is all you need:
http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

sk

Dec 6, 2009, 12:54:57 PM12/6/09
to public-dns-discuss
Great idea Charlie.I expect this is something that is on the cards to
be developed, and with Google's focus on clear documentation and
troubleshooting steps for not-so-tech-savvy users, I suspect the test
page will be right up their on the priorities once this comes out of
test phase.

On Dec 6, 2:19 am, Charlieccm <charlie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OpenDNS has a test page for users to test whether they are using their
> service. It is athttp://www.opendns.com/welcome.

Marcos Guillermo Sanchez Silva

Dec 6, 2009, 1:59:28 PM12/6/09
to public-dns-discuss
I was looking for that page either

On 5 dic, 11:19, Charlieccm <charlie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OpenDNS has a test page for users to test whether they are using their
> service. It is athttp://www.opendns.com/welcome.

Wilmer van der Gaast

Dec 7, 2009, 5:32:46 AM12/7/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
For the slightly more tech-savvy there is one way to do this right now:

$ dig +short self.myresolver.info
74.125.78.94

(Or just ping self.myresolver.info.)

If that command gives you a Google IP address (WHOIS can tell you if
it's Google or not) that ends with .94, you're successfully using
Google Public DNS.

2009/12/5 Charlieccm <charl...@gmail.com>:
> Can Google DNS have a similar test page? Better still, maybe it can
> show the location of the Google data center we are connected to so
> that we can know whether it is close to us or the other side of the
> world.

Unfortunately we can't disclose the exact locations of our datacenters
at this time.

Regards,

--
Wilmer van der Gaast, Dublin Traffic SRE.
Google Ireland.

supermario3

Dec 7, 2009, 5:55:32 AM12/7/09
to public-dns-discuss
Wow! Thank you! It work!

On Dec 7, 11:32 am, Wilmer van der Gaast <wil...@google.com> wrote:
> (Or just ping self.myresolver.info.)
>
> If that command gives you a Google IP address (WHOIS can tell you if
> it's Google or not) that ends with .94, you're successfully using
> Google Public DNS.'
>
> Regards,

Charlieccm

Dec 10, 2009, 8:20:56 AM12/10/09
to public-dns-discuss
Thanks, Wilmer for the ping test. But what is :

$ dig +short self.myresolver.info
74.125.78.94

How exactly do I use this test?

I still think that for everyone's ease of use and convenience, a test
page like OpenDNS' http://www.opendns.com/welcome page would be ideal.
Hope Google will introduce it.

On Dec 7, 6:32 pm, Wilmer van der Gaast <wil...@google.com> wrote:
> For the slightly more tech-savvy there is one way to do this right now:
>
> $ dig +short self.myresolver.info
> 74.125.78.94
>
> (Or just ping self.myresolver.info.)
>
> If that command gives you a Google IP address (WHOIS can tell you if
> it's Google or not) that ends with .94, you're successfully using
> Google Public DNS.
>
> 2009/12/5 Charlieccm <charlie...@gmail.com>:> Can Google DNS have a similar test page? Better still, maybe it can

Kara Moscoe

Dec 10, 2009, 11:26:19 AM12/10/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

You cannot actually run the dig command if you are using Windows. However, there is a web page where you can do the same test using your browser: simply go to http://myresolver.info.

Hope this helps,
Kara

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns

american.com...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2009, 12:08:24 PM12/10/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
google "man dig"

american.com...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2009, 6:18:48 PM12/10/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
> Unfortunately we can't disclose the exact locations of our datacenters
>
> at this time.

I would presume that knowledge will never be willingly disclosed, ever. At least if google can help it. Never the less, if your saavy, you can get the approximate locations of well over 50 dcs across America and Europe. That one your in Wilmer, its in Dublin, down the street from the Essex Quay, right?

Charlieccm

Dec 10, 2009, 9:20:58 PM12/10/09
to public-dns-discuss
Many thanks, Kara. This is much convenient than using the Ping test.
> > public-dns-disc...@googlegroups.com<public-dns-discuss%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Charlieccm

Dec 10, 2009, 9:22:35 PM12/10/09
to public-dns-discuss
Any idea where the approximate nearest data center to South East Asia
is?

american.com...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2009, 11:52:56 AM12/11/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
Terenganu, Malaysia. Next closest is in Hong Kong.
> --

> public-dns-disc...@googlegroups.com

Charlieccm

Dec 11, 2009, 11:09:21 PM12/11/09
to public-dns-discuss
I am surprised they have a data center in Malaysia. Thanks for the
info. How, if you don't mind me asking, did you get this info?

david.g...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2013, 1:21:18 AM7/15/13
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!!

This really works :))

Shen Wan

Jul 17, 2013, 7:18:12 PM7/17/13
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com, david.g...@gmail.com
Hi,

Do you really mean to reply to this 3-year old post?

amalmu...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2014, 12:03:33 PM1/27/14
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com, david.g...@gmail.com
It was 4 year old, actually.