Reminder - Change to dns.google.com addresses

Alexander Dupuy

Aug 20, 2019, 12:45:00 PM8/20/19
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
As previously announced in the Google Public DNS over HTTPS (DoH) blog post in June, and documented at https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/doh/migration, the dns.google.com domain name is being updated to return the same anycast addresses (like 8.8.8.8 and 2001:4860:4860::8844) as dns.google.

This change was originally scheduled to take place two weeks ago, but changes to our configuration rollouts delayed the first turndown step and we have delayed taking this second step until today.

Most DoH applications that have not been updated to use dns.google should start using the new dns.google.com addresses without any user action, and should work normally.

After the dns.google.com change takes place, if you have any systems that continue to use other Google Public DNS addresses for DoH you should make sure that they are properly configured to use dns.google and to refresh DoH service addresses returned by DNS lookups when their TTLs expire. This is important since the next step, scheduled for late September, will break any DoH applications still using the old Google DoH IP addresses unless they support HTTP redirections.