Google Public DNS now supports DNS64

Erik Kline

Jun 6, 2016, 5:08:07 PM6/6/16
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com, public-dn...@googlegroups.com

Dear network administrators,

Five years ago, in celebration of World IPv6 Day, we announced support for querying Google Public DNS over IPv6.  Today, we are pleased to announce additional support for public DNS64.

Administrators of IPv6-only networks can combine this with locally-provided NAT64 using the well-known prefix 64:ff9b::/96 to reach public IPv4-only sites from IPv6-only networks.

Simply replace the current Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses (2001:4860:4860::8888 and 8844) with the Google Public DNS64 IPv6 addresses:

2001:4860:4860::64

2001:4860:4860::6464

to receive synthesized AAAA (and PTR) records with the 64:ff9b::/96 prefix.

This service is not suitable for networks without a NAT64 gateway that uses 64:ff9b::/96. This service does not provide access to private domains that cannot be resolved from the public Internet. This service is not necessary for dual-stack networks or hosts.

More information is available at https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/dns64.

Happy IPv6 transitioning,

  • (Erik Kline and) the Google Public DNS team

Erik Kline

Jul 14, 2016, 12:11:20 PM7/14/16
to hottie...@gmail.com, public-dns-discuss, public-dn...@googlegroups.com
If you're not using these DNS64 servers directly then I would say: no,
it's very unlikely to be related.

In order to properly diagnose the situation, you might consider
including the subdomain(s) in question.

Regards,
-ek