mississippi: over-saturated?

1 view

jon

Jan 28, 2011, 5:34:02 PM1/28/11
to ptp-mgp
i moved away from mississippi area, so do not use the ptp nodes here
as much, but i have been noticing for a few months (at least) the
fresh pot node has been so slow as to almost be unusable at times. i
have also tried /street and some others around here. is ptp mgp a
victim of its own success?

is there any router data that might back me up on this observation, or
prove me wrong? if this *is* the case, can anything be done? thanks!

humbly, a user,
-jon

Russell Senior

Jan 30, 2011, 2:11:31 AM1/30/11
to ptp...@googlegroups.com

jon> i moved away from mississippi area, so do not use the ptp nodes
jon> here as much, but i have been noticing for a few months (at
jon> least) the fresh pot node has been so slow as to almost be
jon> unusable at times. i have also tried /street and some others
jon> around here. is ptp mgp a victim of its own success?

jon> is there any router data that might back me up on this
jon> observation, or prove me wrong? if this *is* the case, can
jon> anything be done? thanks!

Jon,

You have two choices for router data:

http://cacti.personaltelco.net/graphs/graph_view.php

You can look under MGP for specific devices on the outdoor network
(Fresh Pot is separate).

Another option is:

http://munin.personaltelco.net/

Look under silt and the associated rooftop routers.

For about a month we were having real problems with the backhaul with
interference and really long ping times, but that seems to have
cleared up a couple weeks ago:

http://smokeping.personaltelco.net/?target=Nodes.silt

Sometimes people using bittorrent (or uploading at high speeds) can
clog up a network and make it hard for others to use. When we see
this, we try to intervene. We can't always be counted on to notice
right away, so your reports of problems are most useful.

--
Russell Senior, President
rus...@personaltelco.net

Jon V

Apr 1, 2011, 6:48:46 PM4/1/11
to ptp...@googlegroups.com, Russell Senior
hi again russell.  just thought i would drop a line following up my observations from before.  thanks again for your help and the links.

i still only am occasionally at the fresh pot these days, but i cant say i have every experienced zippy speeds while here.  once in a while i even remember to check all the stats links you sent.

often the data for mississippi seems in line for other locations i look at.  (not really 100% sure of what i am looking for, in most cases!)  but i have been noticing some different with the freshpot node itself (not the greater mississippi network) that i thought might be worth mentioning.  clues?  maybe.

the smokeping data in particular seems indicative of the sluggishness of the network.  i have attached the 2 smokeping graphs that i just now pulled for freshpot.  whereas nearly every other location i look at registers the Y axis in milliseconds, freshpot is in seconds.   the 3-hour average ping time is almost a half-second, and you can see the graph has some peaks hitting upwards of 1.5 seconds.  also included is the 10 day chart.  the *avg* ping seems a reasonable 94.9 ms.  but if you look at the graph, you can see that avg benefits from sleep hours.  and the active time of days still need a Y axis in seconds, with peaks reaching up ~ 1.5 seconds.

i dont see this kinda slowness on anywhere else in the mississippi data (unless i missed it), e.g. http://smokeping.personaltelco.net/?target=Nodes.silt

so maybe something is not cool at ye olde fresh pot, i am not sure.  but just thought i would send a note from the other side of molasses.  :)

thanks again for your time!
-jon

p.s. michael is no longer at fresh pot.  saw on the wiki somewhere he was the contact.  am guessing their phone # etc is all the same tho.

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Russell Senior <rus...@personaltelco.net> wrote:

fp-smokeping.png
fp-smokeping2.png

Russell Senior

Apr 2, 2011, 2:10:33 AM4/2/11
to ptp...@googlegroups.com

Jon> hi again russell. just thought i would drop a line following
Jon> up my observations from before. thanks again for your help and
Jon> the links.

Jon> i still only am occasionally at the fresh pot these days, but
Jon> i cant say i have every experienced zippy speeds while here.
Jon> once in a while i even remember to check all the stats links you
Jon> sent.

Freshpot has a pretty low-speed DSL service. I think that's the major
problem there. You might gently suggest to the staff that they consider
something faster. It looks like it is topping out at a little over a
megabit/second, which is pretty slow as Internet service go these
days. I'd be happy to talk to someone there if they are agreeable.

Jon> often the data for mississippi seems in line for other
Jon> locations i look at. (not really 100% sure of what i am looking
Jon> for, in most cases!) but i have been noticing some different
Jon> with the freshpot node itself (not the greater mississippi
Jon> network) that i thought might be worth mentioning. clues?
Jon> maybe.

moose is at FreshPot.

silt is the outdoor network, that runs from nearly Skidmore, down to
Fremont and a little bit to the west (on Failing). There are access
points connected to this network inside the Mississippi Ballroom
building as well. Silt has a relatively fast internet connection, but
it has more users as well.

loki is at the Crow Bar, another independent node.

When the ping times go up, that generally means there is congestion on
the line, from "too many people" trying to use it at the same time,
given the finite capacity.

Tyler Booth

Apr 2, 2011, 3:27:30 PM4/2/11
to ptp...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 1, 2011, at 11:10 PM, Russell Senior wrote:

> Jon> hi again russell. just thought i would drop a line following
> Jon> up my observations from before. thanks again for your help and
> Jon> the links.
>
> Jon> i still only am occasionally at the fresh pot these days, but
> Jon> i cant say i have every experienced zippy speeds while here.
> Jon> once in a while i even remember to check all the stats links you
> Jon> sent.
>
> Freshpot has a pretty low-speed DSL service. I think that's the major
> problem there. You might gently suggest to the staff that they consider
> something faster. It looks like it is topping out at a little over a
> megabit/second, which is pretty slow as Internet service go these
> days. I'd be happy to talk to someone there if they are agreeable.

Having prior experience providing DSL to the freshpot on mississippi and many others in the neighborhood in the past, I can confidently state that the copper really can't handle
much more than that. Cable or wireless broadband are really the only two viable upgrade paths there.