Note RE: Meraki MR24 and ath10k compat

hurr...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2019, 10:23:54 PM11/29/19
to ptp-general
Hi there! My name is Martin K; I am a volunteer at a hackerspace in Burlington, VT. Apologies if this is not the appropriate location but I wanted to share:

The MR24s will work with different WLAN cards, in particular, for 11ac operation, the WLE900VX works fine, just requiring opkg installations of `kmod-ath10k-ct` and the respective `ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct`, along with an /etc/modules.d/ath10k file containing "ath10k_pci irq_mode=1" that tells ath10k_pci to load under irq_mode 1. It's great hardware as-is under OpenWrt, but I jumped out of my seat when I got it to work because I bought a few of them specifically with mind to use with a QCA9880v2-based module (one of the only ath10k's that can properly do IBSS at the time I started searching).

Don't install the `kmod` before you add that file and firmware! ath10k-ct will crash if you do.

Russell Senior

Nov 29, 2019, 10:25:40 PM11/29/19
to ptp-g...@googlegroups.com
Cool! Do you have photos of the WLE900VX installed?

--
The Personal Telco Project - https://personaltelco.net/
Donate to PTP: https://personaltelco.net/donate

hurr...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2019, 11:40:45 PM11/29/19
to ptp-general
Sure thing!

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 7:23 PM <hurr...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

IMG_20191129_233533.jpg

zel...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2019, 1:09:05 AM12/9/19
to ptp-general
For anyone having issues with WLE900VX showing up in dmesg or lspci output, mask or cut trace to pin 20 of the card (RF kill pin).

hurricos

Dec 9, 2019, 1:17:51 AM12/9/19
to ptp-g...@googlegroups.com
Yes indeed. We discovered that when booting X61 Thinkpads with modified BIOS.

Sent from my smartphone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ptp-general" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptp-general/9aeda4fc-f36a-4590-a1e4-6088d64a5288%40googlegroups.com.

Russell Senior

Nov 27, 2020, 4:26:16 AM11/27/20
to ptp-g...@googlegroups.com, hurr...@gmail.com, zel...@gmail.com
Hmm. I had one popped open to try to do this conversion this evening,
and I seem to have killed the MR24. I'm not getting anything on the
console anymore (I did when I first plugged it in, did a reboot into
recovery, but it hung while unpacking the initramfs image from flash
and never spoke coherently again, and applying power gives me only a
momentary blink from the LEDs. Any clues what might have happened?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptp-general/5dede70d.1c69fb81.93a9b.35e0%40mx.google.com.

Martin Kennedy

Nov 28, 2020, 1:29:32 AM11/28/20
to Russell Senior, ptp-g...@googlegroups.com, zel...@gmail.com
No clue! Were you by chance using the bleeding-edge initramfs?

There were some recent big changes / standardizations to the dts, as
you may recall (you helped debug them!), and something may have gotten
fried by one of the recent changes. I have a pair of MR24's at work
which I'd be willing to sacrifice to reproduce your results if it's an
issue with something in the DTS.

It could have just been it giving out, of course ... if you're able to
provide a high-detail image of the motherboard I may be able to help
point out the burnt spot :(

Martin