how to make a gigapanorama over 65,000 pixels?

argiro

Nov 30, 2012, 2:32:14 PM11/30/12
to pt...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I use PTGui Pro as a sticher. Does anyone know how to make a gigapanorama over 65,000 pixels because PTGui Pro does not allow it? Also photoshop does not open files over 30,000 pixels. How can I open/manipulate images over 30,000 pixels? Any help or suggestions?

Thank you

John Houghton

Nov 30, 2012, 3:29:08 PM11/30/12
to PTGui Support
On Nov 30, 7:32 pm, argiro <argiro.star...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also photoshop does
> not open files over 30,000 pixels.

From Photoshop's Help pages (CS6):

Photoshop supports a maximum file size of 300,000 x 300,000 pixels,
except for PDF files, which are limited to 30,000 x 30,000 pixels and
200 x 200 inches.

File size capability for Photoshop:
•PSD files: 2 GB
•TIFF files: 4 GB (Photoshop CS6 supports TIFF files over 4 GB)

Note: Most applications cannot work with TIFF files larger than 2 GB.
•PSB files: 4 exabytes (4096 petabytes or 4 million terabytes)

John

Gill747

Dec 1, 2012, 8:10:57 PM12/1/12
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Try Autopano Giga

Joost Nieuwenhuijse - PTGui Support

Dec 1, 2012, 9:01:29 PM12/1/12
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Argiro,

The JPEG format is limited to 65535 x 65535 pixels.

For gigapixel panorama you should use the PSB output format. Photoshop has a limit of 300,000 x 300,000 pixels but PTGui can create even larger files if you wish.

Joost

Erik Krause

Dec 2, 2012, 7:19:10 AM12/2/12
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Am 02.12.2012 03:01, schrieb Joost Nieuwenhuijse - PTGui Support:

> The JPEG format is limited to 65535 x 65535 pixels.

In theory. Practically there are few programs that support JPEGs with
more than 30,000 pixels either side. Not even photoshop CS6 does save
JPEGs larger than that.

> For gigapixel panorama you should use the PSB output format.
> Photoshop has a limit of 300,000 x 300,000 pixels but PTGui can
> create even larger files if you wish.

... but they'll be useless. Is there any program that opens PSBs larger
than 300,000 pixels?

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

Joergen Geerds

Dec 2, 2012, 10:54:43 AM12/2/12
to pt...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, December 2, 2012 7:19:10 AM UTC-5, Erik Krause wrote:
... but they'll be useless. Is there any program that opens PSBs larger
than 300,000 pixels?

in theory, the krpano tools should be able to accept PSB files that are larger than 300k, so you could in theory output from ptgui directly into the krpano tiler (if the krpano tiler wouldn't have a serious memory leaking bug, which will fill up your boot volume with memory paging files). Or try APG (kolor), which also accept PSBs, but will manage to slice them into a tour without the krpano memory leaks. I do not know if there is a size limitation in APG for that). both solutions will take away your ability to do any actual editing in photoshop, it is pretty much "spray and pray".

Erik Krause

Dec 2, 2012, 11:05:10 AM12/2/12
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Am 02.12.2012 16:54, schrieb Joergen Geerds:
> in theory, the krpano tools should be able to accept PSB files that are
> larger than 300k, so you could in theory output from ptgui directly into
> the krpano tiler (if the krpano tiler wouldn't have a serious memory
> leaking bug, which will fill up your boot volume with memory paging
> files). Or try APG (kolor), which also accept PSBs, but will manage to
> slice them into a tour without the krpano memory leaks. I do not know if
> there is a size limitation in APG for that). both solutions will take
> away your ability to do any actual editing in photoshop, it is pretty
> much "spray and pray".

If I'd ever hit the 300k pixel limit I'd use "slicer" by Bernhard Vogl:
http://dativ.at/slicer/index.html

argiro

Dec 4, 2012, 3:39:25 AM12/4/12
to pt...@googlegroups.com