PTGui 12 for Linux!

PTGui Support

Jun 10, 2020, 5:10:19 AM6/10/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
For years I have been asked when PTGui will run natively on Linux, and
now is the time! PTGui 12 will be available on Mac, Windows and Linux.
The linux version is fully functional. Even OpenCL GPU acceleration is
supported.

PTGui is closed source so it is distributed in binary form.
Unfortunately, compared to Windows and macOS, binary applications are
not as portable on Linux. In particular, a recent Linux distribution is
required, because PTGui was built against a recent libc version.

I've tested it to run on Ubuntu 20 and Fedora 31, but I expect that it
should be possible to run it on any system on which gcc 9.3 or later is
available. I'm looking into distributing a Flatpak or AppImage, which
should make it compatible with more linux distributions, but I assume
OpenCL will be unavailable in these containerized environments. For now
PTGui is available in raw binary form.

To get PTGui for linux, go to
https://www.ptgui.com/beta.html#updates
and scroll down to the download link at the bottom. The full version
requires a license purchased after August 2018. But a trial version is
available too.

On Fedora 31 these packages need to be installed:
sudo dnf install ocl-icd libglvnd-opengl

On Ubuntu 20:
sudo apt-get install ocl-icd-libopencl1

And of course a graphical desktop environment (with gtk3 libraries)
should be available.

On other linux versions, first check the available gcc version:
gcc --version
this should be gcc 9.3 or later. PTGui doesn't actually use gcc, but an
older gcc version means that the libc libraries will be too old.

Feedback is welcome! Please reply to this message to keep all
information in one place.

Joost

PTGui Support

Jun 10, 2020, 5:23:55 AM6/10/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention, it's currently x86_64 only. Arm CPUs are not supported.

Joost

Misho Ristov

Jun 10, 2020, 6:22:25 AM6/10/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
What a surprise!

m.

Chris Hubick

Jun 12, 2020, 8:43:19 PM6/12/20
to PTGui Support
OMG, yes!

I've run Linux on my desktop since 1994, but now that I got into stitching gigapixel panos for VR, I basically switched to Windows for PTGui and WebVR support.

Damn, now all I need is Firefox to support the Valve Index on Linux! Or maybe I just need one of the better "mobile" VR headsets that are supposed to be coming out (XR2), hmm...

Anyhow, yeah, this is great!

SVENDUS

Jun 17, 2020, 3:14:27 PM6/17/20
to PTGui Support
@Joost sorry can you provide me with a link to the installation  file https://www.ptgui.com/beta.html#updates we got no luck
running Linnux mint 19 64 bit

PTGui Support

Jun 17, 2020, 3:26:55 PM6/17/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
On 17/06/2020 21:14, SVENDUS wrote:
> @Joost sorry can you provide me with a link to the installation  file
> https://www.ptgui.com/beta.html#updates
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ptgui.com%2Fbeta.html%23updates&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHJM1ZYroEC-NDdalswW6NBcfT2bQ>
> we got no luck
> running Linnux mint 19 64 bit

See:
https://www.ptgui.com/beta.html#updates
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the download link.

You will need Linux mint 20 though (which is based on Ubuntu 20).

Joost

Svend Nielsen

Jun 17, 2020, 5:18:07 PM6/17/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com

  • This BETA release might contain critical bugs, please only use it for testing purposes and to help the Linux Mint team fix issues prior to the stable release.
  • It will be possible to upgrade from this BETA to the stable release.
  • It will also be possible to upgrade from Linux Mint 19.3.
  • Upgrade instructions will be published after the stable release of Linux Mint 20.

SVENDUS

Jun 18, 2020, 10:08:22 AM6/18/20
to PTGui Support
Joost @Joost

ptgui-icon.png

 we need a  ptgui-icon when you greate a starter in Linux mint 20

start.mp4

Albert Szostkiewicz

Jul 4, 2020, 3:14:00 AM7/4/20
to PTGui Support
OMG! I almost missed this FANTASTIC news!

I am super excited as finally we will be able to use your software professionally in VFX studios! Hurray!

I am testing it currently on Fedora 32 at home, so far so good, no issues. Most VFX studios run CentOS so it should be fine as well.

I will start digging into possibilities of scripting your software in order to integrate it into pipeline (not sure yet how open it is, but that would be my next crucial step)

Let us know when you have new releases, happy to help testing!

Cheers!

Niklas Hambüchen

Jul 7, 2020, 5:13:58 PM7/7/20
to PTGui Support
This is totally awesome, we'll definitely buy the upgrade to PTGui 12. This makes my life so much better.
I also finally have a universal solution to recommend to our customers that's better than "well but you need to use a Windows VM".

I just tried your Linux version and it works great out of the box, good job.

I also just packaged it for nixpkgs, and it was very easy; even OpenCL works out of the box.
In case you're not familiar with the Nix ecosystem, it's a package manager (nix), a repository of almost all open-source software packaged that way (nixpkgs), and a Linux distribution built on top of that (NixOS).
Beyond making PTGui run on NixOS, it also makes it easy to run on any Linux distro by installing nix (https://nixos.org/download.html). For example, I can run the Nix PTGui package on Ubuntu 16.04, because nixpkgs provides the recent library versions you require.

Here's the package description I created for the PTGui trial version, it has instructions at the top:

I will probably also upstream it into nixpkgs itself, which means any Linux user with Nix installed will be able to do `nix-env -i ptgui` to install it (after setting a flag that they want to allow the use of proprietary software).

Thanks again, and great job!

PTGui Support

Jul 8, 2020, 9:03:47 AM7/8/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Niklas,

Good to hear that!
I'm afraid the nix package will not work though, the download URL is
dynamic and only the latest trial version will be available at any time.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3599a503-5688-41fb-98ec-9e08902c7002n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3599a503-5688-41fb-98ec-9e08902c7002n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Niklas Hambüchen

Jul 8, 2020, 11:06:07 AM7/8/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Ah OK, thanks for clarifying Joost, I wasn't quite sure if it was stable.

In any case, one can also set `src = "/path/to/extracted/ptgui-trial.tar.gz";` instead locally.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PTGui Support" group.

VadimMV

Sep 7, 2020, 1:12:58 AM9/7/20
to PTGui Support
./configure   No file on installation.

It would be nice to get a package (.deb)

среда, 10 июня 2020 г. в 12:10:19 UTC+3, PTGui Support:

Jon Stanley

Sep 13, 2020, 8:16:24 PM9/13/20
to PTGui Support
Linux support is great news for those of us using PTGui in the VFX industry.  Unfortunately we're not able to run it yet due to glibc version support.  Most of us in the VFX industry run CentOS 7.  There is an initiative to help software vendors target our industry - https://vfxplatform.com/.

PTGui Support

Sep 14, 2020, 2:28:02 AM9/14/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the pointer. Looks like PTGui will be compatible with CY2021.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0aea9643-cb68-468c-a44c-b32d2c3e9ad4n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0aea9643-cb68-468c-a44c-b32d2c3e9ad4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jon Stanley

Sep 14, 2020, 2:32:40 AM9/14/20
to PTGui Support
Thanks for the reply Joost.  It looks like it'll be compatible with CY2021 from a gcc perspective but glibc remains 2.17 next year.  I'd be happy to be corrected but I don't think PTGui will be glibc 2.17 compatible.

Thanks,

Jon

PTGui Support

Sep 14, 2020, 3:14:05 AM9/14/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
You may be right, I will have to check that.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 14/09/2020 08:32, Jon Stanley wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Joost.  It looks like it'll be compatible with
> CY2021 from a gcc perspective but glibc remains 2.17 next year.  I'd be
> happy to be corrected but I don't think PTGui will be glibc 2.17 compatible.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>
> On Monday, 14 September 2020 at 4:28:02 pm UTC+10 PTGui Support wrote:
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> Thanks for the pointer. Looks like PTGui will be compatible with
> CY2021.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Joost Nieuwenhuijse
> www.ptgui.com <http://www.ptgui.com>
>
> On 14/09/2020 02:16, Jon Stanley wrote:
> > Linux support is great news for those of us using PTGui in the VFX
> > industry.  Unfortunately we're not able to run it yet due to glibc
> > version support.  Most of us in the VFX industry run CentOS 7.
> There is
> > an initiative to help software vendors target our industry
> > - https://vfxplatform.com/ <https://vfxplatform.com/>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0aea9643-cb68-468c-a44c-b32d2c3e9ad4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0aea9643-cb68-468c-a44c-b32d2c3e9ad4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0728e00d-5ad0-4cdb-bf93-f4c2694dd5aen%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0728e00d-5ad0-4cdb-bf93-f4c2694dd5aen%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Hughes

Sep 22, 2020, 8:35:05 PM9/22/20
to PTGui Support
Exciting that there is Linux support!

My company and all of our clients are in the same boat as Jon following the VFX Reference Platform.
We have a couple of clients that want to buy licenses but are blocked by the glib version on the linux version.

Fingers crossed to see if a new beta release will lower the glib version.

Thanks
-Alex

PTGui Support

Sep 23, 2020, 3:04:05 AM9/23/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
I'm aware of this but I'm not sure if it can be solved. Building PTGui
requires certain c++ features, requiring a certain compiler version,
requiring a certain libc version. Static linking is discouraged on Linux
and not permitted by the LGPL.

Perhaps packaging a newer libc in an AppDir might work
https://docs.appimage.org/reference/appdir.html
but this is something I still need to investigate.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 23/09/2020 02:35, Alex Hughes wrote:
> Exciting that there is Linux support!
>
> My company and all of our clients are in the same boat as Jon following
> the VFX Reference Platform.
> We have a couple of clients that want to buy licenses but are blocked by
> the glib version on the linux version.
>
> Fingers crossed to see if a new beta release will lower the glib version.
>
> Thanks
> -Alex
>
> On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 12:14:05 AM UTC-7 PTGui Support wrote:
>
> You may be right, I will have to check that.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Joost Nieuwenhuijse
> www.ptgui.com <http://www.ptgui.com>
>
> On 14/09/2020 08:32, Jon Stanley wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply Joost.  It looks like it'll be compatible with
> > CY2021 from a gcc perspective but glibc remains 2.17 next year.
> I'd be
> > happy to be corrected but I don't think PTGui will be glibc 2.17
> compatible.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jon
> >
> > On Monday, 14 September 2020 at 4:28:02 pm UTC+10 PTGui Support
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer. Looks like PTGui will be compatible with
> > CY2021.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Joost Nieuwenhuijse
> > www.ptgui.com <http://www.ptgui.com> <http://www.ptgui.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0728e00d-5ad0-4cdb-bf93-f4c2694dd5aen%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0728e00d-5ad0-4cdb-bf93-f4c2694dd5aen%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/29038abc-9e68-4518-af67-5893bffc6391n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/29038abc-9e68-4518-af67-5893bffc6391n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Karl Maloszek

Oct 2, 2020, 3:43:42 AM10/2/20
to PTGui Support
Hi Joost,

I'm developing a web application dealing with panos which are currently stitched with PTGui on a local Windows machine and then uploaded to the server. It could be a real improvement to the workflow if the stitching gets done on the server instead. It's a Debian 10 AMD64 system. It would be sufficient to perform 'scripted' stitching, without any UI, triggered by a PHP script. Will your Linux version of PTGui support this?

Thanks in advance for your answer,
Karl

PTGui Support

Oct 2, 2020, 3:55:00 AM10/2/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl,

You can run the batch stitcher from the command line, see 6.32:
https://www.ptgui.com/support.html#6_32

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3d9788d8-d205-4757-b72c-199a5aaa6a61n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3d9788d8-d205-4757-b72c-199a5aaa6a61n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Panorado

Oct 2, 2020, 4:09:42 AM10/2/20
to 'PTGui Support' via PTGui Support
Thank you Joost!

I'm assuming the command line syntax is the same on Windows and Linux
systems. It's good to know you're supporting this, and I can throw this
option into the discussion with my customer.

Greetings from Berlin/Germany,
Karl Maloszek - Simple Software
Odenwaldstr. 16
12161 Berlin
DEUTSCHLAND/GERMANY
www.panorado.com
in...@panorado.com
+49 30 2648 4453
+49 177 433 9639

Niklas Hambüchen

Oct 2, 2020, 9:09:02 AM10/2/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hey Joost,

since I work on static linking on Linux stuff for open source projects in my free time, maybe the following points are useful:

> I'm aware of this but I'm not sure if it can be solved. Building PTGui requires certain c++ features, requiring a certain compiler version, requiring a certain libc version. Static linking is discouraged on Linux and not permitted by the LGPL.

Static linking is not discouraged on Linux; there are major programming language and Linux distributions ecosystems that embrace static linking on Linux, see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3430400/linux-static-linking-is-dead/56771892#56771892.

The LGPL does permit you to distribute statically linked binaries, as long as you allow swapping out the LGPL components. For example it is allowed to distribute a statically linked ptgui binary if you also ship a closed-source ptgui.o so that people can re-link it against their version of libc/gtk/whatever. See https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LGPLStaticVsDynamic
Now of course it will depend on PTGui's build system whether that's feasible/convenient.

Cheers!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PTGui Support" group.

PTGui Support

Oct 2, 2020, 9:57:18 AM10/2/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Niklas,

Ah that's very helpful information, thank you!

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 02/10/2020 15:08, Niklas Hambüchen wrote:
> [...]
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0aea9643-cb68-468c-a44c-b32d2c3e9ad4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0aea9643-cb68-468c-a44c-b32d2c3e9ad4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0aea9643-cb68-468c-a44c-b32d2c3e9ad4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0aea9643-cb68-468c-a44c-b32d2c3e9ad4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>>.
> >
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > --
> >      > You received this message because you are subscribed to
> the Google
> >      > Groups "PTGui Support" group.
> >      > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails

PTGui Support

Dec 17, 2020, 4:26:23 PM12/17/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
From another user:
> Dear Joost,
>
> I'm trying to install the the PTGui Linux Beta, on Ubuntu 20.04
(because I'm considering dropping Mac).

> For the moment I'm running Ubuntu on my old Mac Pro just to get a
feel it.

> It's probably because I'm new to linux, but I'm not able to get from
the tar download to a working installation, even though I'm looking
through various 'how to' pages on the web.

> Without providing a tutorial, do you have any tips to get me over the
hurdles?

The PTGui for Linux beta is distributed as .tar.gz file containing the
PTGui application binary and the necessary supporting files. A package
or installer is not provided.

A .tar.gz file is just an archive similar to a .zip file.

To unpack it, open a terminal and do:

cd $HOME
mkdir ptgui12
cd ptgui12
tar xvfz /xxxx/yyyy/PTGui_Pro_12_beta_14_trial.tar.gz

(replace /xxxx/yyyy with the actual directory where the archive is stored)

Now there's a 'ptgui12' folder in your home directory, containing the
PTGui application.

PTGui requires GTK3 but this should be installed with your Ubuntu
desktop installation by default. It also requires opencl-icd which you
have to install manually:

sudo apt install ocl-icd

Now you should be able to run PTGui by typing:

$HOME/ptgui12/PTGui

alan.z...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2020, 7:54:05 AM12/18/20
to PTGui Support
Apologies for in advance for my Linux incompetence, but I would really like to try the Linux Beta of PTGui.
Despite Joost's helpful reply I don't make progress.

In terminal (with my comments)

cd $HOME (fine)
mkdir ptgui12 (fine)
cd ptgui12  (fine)
tar xvfz /xxxx/yyyy/PTGui_Pro_12_beta_14_trial.tar.gz  (answer: tar: Old option 'f' requires an argument. try 'tar --help' or 'tar --usage' for more information) (typing 'tar --help' provided several sides of command dictionary that I don't know how to apply to the situation at hand).

I then tried to install opencl-icd. After the command I get
Reading package files... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information.... Done
E: Unable to locate package ocl-icd

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Alan

PTGui Support

Dec 18, 2020, 10:03:38 AM12/18/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

I don't have a ubuntu machine at hand right now, but I think

tar xvfz <filename>

should work. Be sure to fill the correct file name above.

As for ocl-icd, could you try this:

sudo apt install mesa-opencl-icd

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

> www.ptgui.com <http://www.ptgui.com>
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/dfdd1306-d9db-42ca-978a-db2484e8091an%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/dfdd1306-d9db-42ca-978a-db2484e8091an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

alan

Dec 18, 2020, 11:18:46 AM12/18/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Joost,

For ocl-icd, success with:

sudo apt install mesa-opencl-icd

For the tar 'unpacking', no progress. After trying

tar xvfz <filename>

in terminal, I get: bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'

I'm not in a hurry, and am happy with one step closer.

Alan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/b9421e34-d969-d22a-36d8-aee0872ba42b%40ptgui.com.

Erik Krause

Dec 18, 2020, 12:41:43 PM12/18/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com

https://xkcd.com/1168/

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

alan

Dec 18, 2020, 2:33:10 PM12/18/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
That is excellent Erik ! I laughed for 30 seconds.

PTGui Support

Dec 19, 2020, 3:10:43 AM12/19/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

What I meant is to replace <filename> with the actual file name and path
of the downloaded .tar.gz file. For example (but don't type this literally):

tar xvfz /home/alan/Downloads/PTGui_Pro_12_beta_14_trial.tar.gz

Keep in mind that Linux filesystems are case sensitive (p and P are
different characters).

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 18/12/2020 17:18, alan wrote:
> Thank you Joost,
>
> For ocl-icd, success with:
>
> sudo apt install mesa-opencl-icd
>
> For the tar 'unpacking', no progress. After trying
>
> tar xvfz <filename>
>
> in terminal, I get: bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'
>
> I'm not in a hurry, and am happy with one step closer.
>
> Alan
>
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 16:03, 'PTGui Support' via PTGui Support
> <pt...@googlegroups.com <mailto:pt...@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> I don't have a ubuntu machine at hand right now, but I think
>
> tar xvfz <filename>
>
> should work. Be sure to fill the correct file name above.
>
> As for ocl-icd, could you try this:
>
> sudo apt install mesa-opencl-icd
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Joost Nieuwenhuijse
> www.ptgui.com <http://www.ptgui.com>
>
> On 18/12/2020 13:54, alan.z...@gmail.com
> > www.ptgui.com <http://www.ptgui.com> <http://www.ptgui.com
> <http://www.ptgui.com>>
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to ptgui+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:ptgui%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:ptgui+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:ptgui%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/dfdd1306-d9db-42ca-978a-db2484e8091an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/dfdd1306-d9db-42ca-978a-db2484e8091an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/b9421e34-d969-d22a-36d8-aee0872ba42b%40ptgui.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/b9421e34-d969-d22a-36d8-aee0872ba42b%40ptgui.com>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/CALi9bbLaQmhOK5WJN_WE80QbBzM_X6hNLMEW4x5wZDurM4%3DBRA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/CALi9bbLaQmhOK5WJN_WE80QbBzM_X6hNLMEW4x5wZDurM4%3DBRA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

alan

Dec 20, 2020, 7:12:59 AM12/20/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your patience, but I'm still unable to complete the decisive step.

Incidentally, when I saw that I was having difficulties with the command line route, I looked for Linux 'Package Managers', and came across 'Apper'. Coincidentally, I wanted to install the programme 'RawTherapee', on my new Ubuntu set up. RawTherapee provides a 'source code' download ( https://rawtherapee.com/shared/source/rawtherapee-5.8.tar.xz ) which 'Apper' opened and installed. When I tried the same with the tar.gz for PTGui, it didn't work. I don't know what the reasons for the two outcomes are, but would it be feasible to provide something which 'Apper' can open and install? For those that are having difficulties with the command line, it would save time having to answer their questions.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/5116b3b8-13e8-87ae-5d78-47ac0c882f04%40ptgui.com.

PTGui Support

Dec 20, 2020, 12:31:23 PM12/20/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

Perhaps some kind of package will be provided in the future. Some basic
command line knowledge is probably needed when running linux, even when
running a graphical desktop.

Could you post a screenshot or a capture of your command line session?
We can probably see what goes wrong. It should be as simple as typing
tar xvfz followed by the file name. Nothing else.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 20/12/2020 13:12, alan wrote:
> [...]
> >     <http://www.ptgui.com <http://www.ptgui.com>>>
> >      >
> >      > --
> >      > You received this message because you are subscribed to
> the Google
> >      > Groups "PTGui Support" group.
> >      > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails
> from it,
> >     send
> >      > an email to ptgui+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:ptgui%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >     <mailto:ptgui%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:ptgui%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>
> >      > <mailto:ptgui+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:ptgui%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >     <mailto:ptgui%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:ptgui%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>>.
> >     <mailto:ptgui%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:ptgui%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >     To view this discussion on the web visit

Svend Nielsen

Dec 20, 2020, 12:43:13 PM12/20/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Check this Video on installing Pano 2VR on Linux mint https://vimeo.com/156805727
we installed PTGUI in the same manner on LinuxMint 20 and it works nicely

Thomas Rauser do not create .Deb for Pano 2VR to this have a learning curve

in Mint you can easily create a starter as shown in the video
but on a plain Ubuntu it is a little more complicated

Installing Pano2VR5  on Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" Cinnamon Edition
Visit  https://ggnome.com/ for more information
the program can create virtual tours and interactive 360º panoramas.
from your Ricoh THETA S Equirectangular images
and Equirectangular images striched with PTGui or Hugin - Panorama photo stitcher

NOTE!
On Ubuntu later versions you have to run command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-panel
followed by this command:

Code:
sudo gnome-desktop-item-edit /usr/share/applications/ --create-new

in the terminal to be able to create a starter in the launcher

NOTE:
FFmpeg has been removed from Ubuntu 14.04 and was replaced by Libav. This decision has been reversed so that FFmpeg is available now in Ubuntu 15.04 again, but there is still no official package for 14.04.  how to install FFmpeg from mc3man ppa. Add the mc3man ppa:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/trusty-media

And confirm the following message by pressing Enter

Also note that with apt-get a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade is needed for initial setup & with some package upgrades
More info: https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archive/ubuntu/trusty-media

Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

Update the package list.
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Now FFmpeg is available to be installed with apt:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

The ffmpeg file Path are: /usr/bin/ffmpeg

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PTGui Support" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0ee5b72a-4535-9ee7-3fee-b86f51892115%40ptgui.com.

alan

Dec 20, 2020, 3:10:54 PM12/20/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I will compile and post the different variants I've tried.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/0ee5b72a-4535-9ee7-3fee-b86f51892115%40ptgui.com.

alan

Dec 21, 2020, 5:33:50 AM12/21/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Svend,

Somehow I missed your message. I will try it.

Alan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/CAADoNUWk%2BikC%3DKRSqRiue%3D8F_%2BfQPXwWbP-fDzWieET%2B1B77FQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Svend Nielsen

Dec 21, 2020, 7:49:07 AM12/21/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
No doubt you missed my message Google Forums are rather messy

--
Regards Svendus
Solgården Gassljunga

alan

Dec 27, 2020, 3:50:14 PM12/27/20
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Kudos and thanks to Svend 👍👏 who managed to get me over the line with his little clip.
I now have a working version of the PTGui Beta on Linux Mint 20 (which I installed next to Ubuntu).
Still a few details to figure out: the app icon is on the desktop rather than where the other apps sit, but a first stitch worked.
I would still like to try on Ubuntu, but for the moment I just lest it (and me) rest.
Alan