PTGui for creating video game panoramas

J Cayde

Jul 8, 2024, 3:00:50 PMJul 8
to PTGui Support
Hey everyone!

I have a project in the works which functions similar to GeoGuessr, except the panoramas are of locations in a video game. PTGui seems to be the perfect software to generate the panoramas required, however I do have a couple of questions regarding my use case and how to optimally configure it for the highest quality.

Currently I am using the trial version of PTGui Pro and obtaining the static images by recording a video of the game location, then converting the video file to jpgs.

1. For the lens and camera configuration I have been using "50 mm rectilinear" and "Not applicable, or not a camera (e.g. 3D renderings)". I am unsure if I should be modifying the sensor diagonal or size, so please may I ask if this is the best configuration for my use case and should I change anything else?

2. Upon previewing the panorama using the "PTGui Viewer", the generated panorama seems to have a low quality, however, when changing the "width x height" of the viewer does seems to slightly remedy this. I suppose I am missing something here so any guidance would be appreciated.

3. Lastly, is there any recommendations on how obtain the highest quality panorama for my use case? i.e. does the field of view of the game camera need to be a specific value or is there a feature of PTGui I should be using.

Thank you and have a great day!

PTGui Support

Jul 8, 2024, 5:22:35 PMJul 8
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 08-07-2024 19:49, J Cayde wrote:
> 1. For the lens and camera configuration I have been using "50 mm
> rectilinear" and "Not applicable, or not a camera (e.g. 3D renderings)".
> I am unsure if I should be modifying the sensor diagonal or size, so
> please may I ask if this is the best configuration for my use case and
> should I change anything else?

If you set the sensor size to a 1x focal length multiplier, then the
focal length is the '35mm equivalent' focal length. The focal length
should match the focal length of the virtual camera used in the game's
3d engine.

I think it's best if you just give it a try with a set of images. After
running Align Images, PTGui should show the actual correct focal length.

> 2. Upon previewing the panorama using the "PTGui Viewer", the generated
> panorama seems to have a low quality, however, when changing the "width
> x height" of the viewer does seems to slightly remedy this. I suppose I
> am missing something here so any guidance would be appreciated.

Yes I think you are using the 'eye' toolbar button in the Panorama
Editor for previewing? This just captures a screenshot of the panorama
editor (at the same resolution) and displays it in the viewer.

You should instead go to the Create Panorama tab and create the panorama
from there. This generates a full resolution image.

> 3. Lastly, is there any recommendations on how obtain the highest
> quality panorama for my use case? i.e. does the field of view of the
> game camera need to be a specific value or is there a feature of PTGui I
> should be using.

The final resolution, measured in pixels per degree, will match the
pixels per degrees of the source images. So to get a higher resolution,
you will need to increase the number of pixels per angle in the source
images. You can do this either by zooming in (i.e. reducing the field of
view, which means using a longer focal length camera), or by increasing
the resolution of the screenshots (use a 4k screen instead of HD).

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

J Cayde

Jul 17, 2024, 4:49:18 PM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to PTGui Support
Hi Joost,

I have taken and applied your advice and the generated panoramas are incredible!

Thank you for taking the time to give a detailed reply and looking forward to using them in my project!