PTGUI 12 raw files and auto white balance

Andrew Miller

Dec 5, 2021, 4:26:25 PM12/5/21
to PTGui Support
Hi.
I just updated to PTGUI Pro 12 and I am loving some of the new processes and capabilities.

My old mentor needed some editing help - and sent me 200 HDR pano Raw files.
I'm challenged as she left the white balance on Auto and I wanted to try using Raw Files directly.
Does PTGUi read the Camera white balance setting or does it auto adjust all the files to have a similar white balance before attempting to stitch. The one example I tested SEEMS to have a unified white balance but it could just be off by 50-100 Kelvin and blended well.
I don't want to make assumptions and make mistakes later.

Everything past here is just chatter.
In the past
I typically use Capture One to output white balanced and adjusted bracketed tiffs, then put them into photomatix to make .HDR files. I then plug the pano views into PTGUI to stictch the HDR files. PTGUi seems to do the job well enough. It's different looking that my usual process but MUCH faster.

When Capture One 22 comes out in a month with HDR and Pano stitching I'm curious if it will compete with, or blend with my PTGUI workflow.
Thanks
Andrew

PTGui Support

Dec 6, 2021, 12:52:18 AM12/6/21
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

PTGui reads raw images in the 'as shot' white balance. If Panorama
Editor -> Post Process -> White Balance -> As Shot is checked, no
further conversion is done, which means that your images will be
stitched with varying white balance.

If 'as shot' is unchecked, white balance is converted to the desired
color temperature. The source color temperature is set per image in the
Image Settings tab. For some raw files the white balance can be detected
from the metadata, for other raw files PTGui is unable to do so and the
source white balance will be empty. In such a case 5000K is used for the
conversion.

In other words, if PTGui can detect your white balance (check the Image
Parameters tab and be sure to expand bracketed sets by clicking the
triangle), configure a white balance in Post Processing and you should
be fine. Otherwise, convert your images to TIFF first.

And keep in mind that PTGui doesn't perform noise reduction or CA
correction, this might be a good reason to use a raw converter anyway.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com