Converting Ricoh Theta Images

timcel

May 13, 2014, 1:31:18 PM5/13/14
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I'm a long time PTGui user. Usually, I use different SLR setups in multi-shot situations. I recently acquired a Ricoh Theta 360 camera. Though the image quality leaves something to be desired, what it does do is remarkable. You can shoot a full 360 spherical image in a single shot. What it does is shoot 2 180 degree images and stitch them together. The result is a flat panorama. You can drop the flat image in a Theta desktop viewer or on an iPhone viewer. Or, you can post the image via Ricoh's own online website online to your Facebook page. And, that's where I've got a real problem. Ricoh demands access to your FB friend list, etc., etc. Ricoh themselves are really hosting the images on their servers. I'd really like to keep control of my own images when I post them on my own websites. In the past, I've used self contained Java based viewers generated via PTGui. My question is this: Is there a way for PTGui to open up the Theta JPG file (It does show up on the image list) and convert that image into something that PTGui can deal with so that I can export my own panoramas for viewing online? PTGui is focused on sticking together images. This image is fully stitched together and just needs to be mapped onto a sphere. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

Erik Krause

May 13, 2014, 3:17:28 PM5/13/14
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Am 13.05.2014 19:31, schrieb timcel:
> This image is fully stitched together and just needs to be mapped onto a
> sphere. Any thoughts?

Provide such an image for download and well have a try...

Please do not add attachments to your posts; instead upload your files
at a file sharing site (for example http://ge.tt/ ) and include a link
in your message.

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

Jim Watters

May 13, 2014, 6:19:47 PM5/13/14
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

The image from the Theta is an equirectangular image the same as the full
spherical image that PTGui produces. All you have to do is level the image and
save again at the same resolution.

Lens Setting : Equirectangular, 360°, set a,b,c,d,e,g,&t all to 0
Level by setting vertical control points and optimizing or using Panorama Editor.

Jim

--
Jim Watters
http://photocreations.ca

timcel

May 14, 2014, 12:29:22 AM5/14/14
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Perfect advice, Jim. Thanks! I am now free of the constrains of of Ricoh's viewer.

Tim

Andrew Stephens

May 14, 2014, 12:41:54 PM5/14/14
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Kolor's Panotour Pro 2.1 has specific support for Ricoh Theta images when building tours:

http://www.kolor.com/blog-en/2014/04/29/panotourpanotour-pro-2-1-final/

Ricoh Theta support

Panotour automatically detects your panoramas shot with a Ricoh Theta device.

If the gyroscope settings of your Theta during the shooting indicates that the panorama is not leveled, Panotour asks you if you want to automatically fix the horizon.

If you answer yes, a new file will be generated, and this new file will be used instead of the original Theta file.

We added two new presets dedicated to Ricoh Theta virtual tours, to enhance your Theta experience.

You can have look at the following video, to see how easy it is to create a tour with a Ricoh Theta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH5dkiRxLVo

Here are two virtual tours created in Panotour with images shot with a Ricoh Theta and with these new presets:

http://www.kolor.com/virtual-tours/20140409-kolor-theta-simple/

http://www.kolor.com/virtual-tours/20140409-kolor-theta-groups/

Andrew

floz

May 15, 2014, 8:27:09 AM5/15/14
to pt...@googlegroups.com
I just wrote a shell script to level Theta images in PTGui. Look for my pano.ie Facebook page...

But anyway, it will be trivial for Joost to make PTGui detect and honour the Pitch and Roll information embedded in the Theta's EXIF tag (the latest exiftool allows to read them too, e.g exiftool -ricohroll -ricohpitch IMAGE.JPG). Both on import into PTGui itself, or when opening in the conver to web tool.

Joost?

floz

May 15, 2014, 5:24:51 PM5/15/14
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, was on mobile earlier. Here’s the direct link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z4xeupfxgw45k9s/AAAJiRaiYBygx5oe42TRx1FOa

PS: Even if you don’t want to / can’t use the script: The idea is simple. Use (e.g.) exiftool to spit out the embedded roll and pitch information (exiftool -ricohroll -ricohpitch IMAGE.JPG) and then enter these two values in the Image Parameters tab to get things levelled.

Cedric Paulin Halenria

May 17, 2014, 7:08:25 AM5/17/14
to pt...@googlegroups.com
I tried to put your image in KRPano to make an html/flash/js viewable file. It's working great, but the axis of rotation is not the desired one.

Cedric

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PTGui Support" group.