Workflow Ricoh Theta Z1 - PTGui Pro

Willy Vanelderen

Mar 21, 2023, 3:26:27 PM3/21/23
to PTGui Support
Hi,

I use the dual fisheye plugin to make my HDR photos. For now, I use Lightroom and Ricoh Theta Stichter to make my equirectangular panoramas but I want more control and plan to buy PTGui Pro.
I played around with the trial version and viewed every video tutorial I found on PTGui and the internet but still, I don't manage to make my panoramas in PTGui.
I understand how PTGui is working but I'm having trouble getting my HDR.DNGs in the correct format.
Is there anybody who can help me on the way by providing me with a workflow to get the job done?

Kind regards

Willy Vanelderen

PTGui Support

Mar 21, 2023, 4:06:19 PM3/21/23
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willy,

Please see 6.41:
https://ptgui.com/support.html#6_41

If you can't get it to work, could you make one of your files available
so I can try?

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3b36e190-b80e-4139-9b5d-c387577e5af5n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3b36e190-b80e-4139-9b5d-c387577e5af5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Philip Chong

Mar 22, 2023, 9:34:59 AM3/22/23
to PTGui Support
Yes, make your DNG available please. I want to try. Upload to wetransfer the best, it expire after 7 days.

Willy Vanelderen | Archico bv

Mar 31, 2023, 5:59:41 AM3/31/23
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I made the template but after stitching I get a lighter area where the front and back image are stitched. The first template gave the worst result, the second one is better.
If you want to give it a try https://www.dropbox.com/sh/chxm78rio1misvm/AADTpkHgvUnkm0AiXjmrGMcDa?dl=0
Panorama's have the same name as the template file the were made with. It's obvious I made Ricoh-Theta-Stitcher-.tif with the Ricoh Theta Stitcher

Kind regards

Willy Vanelderen | Archico bv

Mar 31, 2023, 8:10:16 AM3/31/23
to PTGui Support
Willy, I got a decent stitch with the lighter areas more-or-less eliminated.  Files uploaded to https://we.tl/t-7TsEDzhXTF .  I don't know if that helps.

John

Willy Vanelderen

Mar 31, 2023, 8:49:25 AM3/31/23
to PTGui Support
@ John

How did you fix it?
The panorama is darker than mine.

John Houghton

Mar 31, 2023, 9:27:51 AM3/31/23
to PTGui Support
On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 1:49:25 PM UTC+1 Willy Vanelderen wrote:
How did you fix it?
The panorama is darker than mine.

Wily, I converted the DNG source image to TIFF with Adobe Camera Raw with adjustment to increase the exposure.  In PTGui I applied masks to hide all parts of the camera/tripod in the images.  (Past experience tells me that this avoids potential blending problems at the seams).  Individual crop circles were adjusted.  I created a few control points manually and optimized.  It's worth trying blending options (multiband/zero overlap)  -  I think zero overlap was best, actually.

John

PTGui Support

Mar 31, 2023, 10:09:45 AM3/31/23
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willy,

I've attached a fixed template. The cropping circle was a bit too wide,
including the dark rim of the circular image. Vignetting correction was
enabled (see Exposure/HDR tab), PTGui attempted to correct the dark edge
but that just resulted in overcompensation.

So I've reduced the cropping circle, added a few control point and
pressed 'Optimize Now' in the Exposure/HDR tab.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

template fixed.pts

Willy Vanelderen

Apr 1, 2023, 10:03:01 AM4/1/23
to PTGui Support
Thank you all.

@Joost
I suppose that I can use the attached file as a template for my next Z1 pictures.
I thought about the cropping circle but didn't get to it yet.  I tried adding control points automatically but that didn't add any so optimizing was useless.

@John
To remove the tripod, did you convert it to cube faces?

Kind regards

Willy Vanelderen

John Houghton

Apr 1, 2023, 11:10:00 AM4/1/23
to PTGui Support
On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 3:03:01 PM UTC+1 Willy Vanelderen wrote:
@John
To remove the tripod, did you convert it to cube faces?

Willy, I masked out the tripod but didn't patch over the hole that was left, so no - I didn't convert to cube faces.  However, to complete the job, I have done that using a stitched version that used zero overlap blending for best results.  The patched version is attached.

John
Ricoh-Theta_HDR_acr Panorama (1) Reconstructed.jpg

Willy Vanelderen

Apr 1, 2023, 12:15:26 PM4/1/23
to PTGui Support
@John

I will seriously have to do my best in PTGui to ever get to this level and earn a penny from 360 photography.

Willy Vanelderen | Archico bv

Aug 25, 2023, 3:12:54 PM8/25/23
to 'PTGui Support' via PTGui Support
Hi,

At the time you made me a new template using the Dropbox file that corrects the stitching error. This my laptop gave up on me and I don't have a copy of the template anymore.

Please could you do me the favor and send me a new one?

Thanks A Lot.

Willy Vanelderen | Archico bv

Willy, The attachments containing the templates/project files you want are still available in the posts within this topic/conversation.  Can you not simply review the previous responses and download them again?

John

Erik Krause

Aug 25, 2023, 6:00:35 PM8/25/23
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Am 25.08.2023 um 21:12 schrieb Willy Vanelderen | Archico bv:

> At the time you made me a new template using the Dropbox file that
> corrects the stitching error. This my laptop gave up on me and I
> don't have a copy of the template anymore.

Do you mean this one?
https://groups.google.com/group/ptgui/attach/8c85952615119/template%20fixed.pts?part=0.1

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

Willy Vanelderen

Sep 1, 2023, 10:52:04 AM9/1/23
to PTGui Support
Hello,

My mistake.
After a few days, it occurred to me that the file would still be available in the forum. I promise never to ask again.

Kind regards
Willy Vanelderen