Panorama output as DNG?

Karola Schmidt

Feb 13, 2023, 8:47:03 AM2/13/23
to PTGui Support
Hi,
I have been using the integrated panorama function of Lightroom to some extend. While this works usually rather well for panoramas shot in a straight line, more complex panos usually don't render flawless. This is not a surprise, but one function of LR is nice: It combines the single raw images into one big dng file.
This makes post processing of the image far more easy. Would it be possible to add such a function to PTGui? This would also avoid problems with raw images as only standard settings are used, as far as I have read.

PTGui Support

Feb 13, 2023, 8:50:05 AM2/13/23
to 'Karola Schmidt' via PTGui Support
Hi Karola,

I'm sorry, PTGui cannot output DNG images. This is on the wish list for
a future release.

If you have Photoshop, you can create a TIFF panorama with PTGui, open
it in Photoshop and then do Filter - Camera RAW Filter. It's not a true
replacement for a DNG to DNG workflow, but you get most of the
processing options of Adobe Camera Raw this way.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/80e7c391-4793-4286-885c-99ed5836536bn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/80e7c391-4793-4286-885c-99ed5836536bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Erik Krause

Feb 13, 2023, 10:07:32 AM2/13/23
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Am 13.02.23 um 14:49 schrieb 'PTGui Support' via PTGui Support:

> If you have Photoshop, you can create a TIFF panorama with PTGui, open
> it in Photoshop and then do Filter - Camera RAW Filter.

You also can use Adobe Bridge to pass any image file to ACR.

--
Erik Krause

Erik Krause

Feb 13, 2023, 10:13:20 AM2/13/23
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Am 13.02.23 um 14:28 schrieb 'Karola Schmidt' via PTGui Support:

> This would also avoid problems with raw
> images as only standard settings are used, as far as I have read.

Only partly. Removal of vignetting or chromatic aberration (CA) will not
be possible in a stitched panorama, since it depends on the distance
from the optical axis.

So to remove CA, you'd have to convert with a decent raw converter
anyway, and then there's no reason for a DNG-to-DNG workflow anymore,
since you can do anything with 16-bit TIFF files as well.

--
Erik Krause

Jim Watters

Feb 13, 2023, 11:26:12 AM2/13/23
to pt...@googlegroups.com

Agree. It is always best to correct CA and vignetting from original
images before warping. PTGui does a really good job of removing
vignetting. Use a Raw camera software to correct CA before using in PTGui.

Erik,

Except for some reason, Adobe CameraRaw/Lightroom does a very good job
of removing CA from other images. Example does a good job with
unstitched side by side duo fisheye images from a single shot camera.

Jim

milner studios

Apr 30, 2023, 5:48:05 PM4/30/23
to PTGui Support
I would also love to see the option for DNG output to maintain max options for file control.  Helicon Focus (focus stacking software) has this option and I find it an invaluable asset to my workflow

florianjosef

May 2, 2023, 3:49:15 AM5/2/23
to PTGui Support
I find the wish for DNG a bit strange. If you study what DNG actually is, a simple Data Container with a recipe how to display this data and embedded preview for fast display, you can say that TIF or EXR are much capable and with bigger options, but much more difficult formats to handle. Enormous File sizes at 32 bit endless dynamic range huge file sizes at 16bit.
maybe someone invents a newer format that is lightweight and easier to edit, but we probably can't get a RAW NON Demosaiced DATA and development settings recipe from PTGUI for DNGs because we need to Demosaic it in order to stich it...

my 2 cents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosaicing

milner studios

May 2, 2023, 5:04:54 AM5/2/23
to PTGui Support
I have a different view regarding DNGs, and hope ptgui will consider my request in a future update. That would be greatly appreciated

ErnestoP

May 2, 2023, 6:21:59 AM5/2/23
to PTGui Support
I have already had bad experiences with the DNG format and have therefore (almost) stopped using it years ago. The reasons for this can be read here:
https://www.ernst.pisch.at/Fotografie/RAWvsDNG_EN.html  or https://www.ernst.pisch.at/Fotografie/DNGvsRAW.html (german version)
In the meantime I can see some advantages regarding workflow (I also use DNG sometimes with HeliconFocus), but I avoid this file format whenever possible.
I don't want to stop anyone from working with the DNG file format, but I want to avoid the same thing happening to someone else as happened to me. That is all I would like to say.
Ernst

Roger D Williams

May 2, 2023, 6:52:26 AM5/2/23
to pt...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPad

On May 2, 2023, at 7:22 PM, ErnestoP <erns...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have already had bad experiences with the DNG format and have therefore (almost) stopped using it years ago. The reasons for this can be read here:

Erik Krause

May 2, 2023, 1:02:13 PM5/2/23
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Am 02.05.2023 um 11:04 schrieb milner studios:

> I have a different view regarding DNGs, and hope ptgui will consider
> my request in a future update.

Just for curiosity: What do you expect from DNG what can't be achieved
with (let's say) 16bit TIFF?

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de