Re: [PTGui] Mini 3 pro lens

Message has been deleted

PTGui Support

May 21, 2022, 3:55:26 PM5/21/22
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

It's a rectilinear lens, PTGui should handle it automatically.

For drone panoramas in general see 5.6:
https://ptgui.com/support.html#5_6

If you run into any issue I'd be happy to take a look, just make a set
of images available for download.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 21-05-2022 19:30, 'Jeremy D.' via PTGui Support wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I hope you are doing well. I am in South of France and just bought Mini
> 3 pro. I love doing pano with my drones.
>
> Do you have PTGui lens file for DJI Mini 3 pro ?
> Any one know what value should be manually enter otherwise ?
>
> Thanks for help.
>

> Regards,
>
> Jeremy
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/f08b2655-5eaf-43b7-934f-dc480ca10795n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/f08b2655-5eaf-43b7-934f-dc480ca10795n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

hgol...@gmail.com

May 22, 2022, 9:50:05 AM5/22/22
to PTGui Support
Hello Jeremy,
I'm considering this new DJI drone myself. I''m now using the Mavic Pro 2, but it leaves a rather large area of the zenith unfilled. Does the Mini 3 Pro, with its 60° upward tilt, cover more of the sky? Or does it still leave an area for you to fill by other means?

Thank you,

Howard

Jeremy D.

May 22, 2022, 3:26:31 PM5/22/22
to PTGui Support
Hello,

Thanks for the response. I have a couple of questions more:
- When I import pictures into PTGui, it says the lens is 6.72mm instead of 24mm. When having a look at EXIF files, it seems the Mini 3 pro populates the lens focal field with 6.72mm instead of 24mm. Do you have any comment ? Should I change the value to 24mm manually in PTGui ? It's said we should enter the real value of focal and not 35mm equivalent.
- When I import DNG files into PTGui, pictures are very dark, much darker than when looking with Preview app (MacOS). Also some pictures show strong halo effect due to sun. Is there any way to uniformise the luminosity in PTGui ? Do you manage well DNG files ? I have uploaded a set of DNG file into this folder: https://we.tl/t-D0QhHO8Qrj

thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy D.

May 22, 2022, 3:28:27 PM5/22/22
to PTGui Support
Hello,

Coming from M2P too, I have acquired the Mini 3 Pro with the same expectation, that the upward tilt would cover the full sky. Unfortunately, as we speak, it does not. I hope a future upgrade will bring this feature.

regards,

Jeremy

PTGui Support

May 22, 2022, 3:55:34 PM5/22/22
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

The specs say the camera has a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 24mm.
Since the senseor is much smaller than 35mm, the actual focal length
could indeed be 6.72mm. So I think this is correct.

DNG (and RAW) files are 'digital negatives', not images. it's possible
that PTGui develops them darker than other raw converters. For the best
results it's recommended convert them to 16 bit tiff in a good raw
converter.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 22-05-2022 21:26, 'Jeremy D.' via PTGui Support wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the response. I have a couple of questions more:
> - When I import pictures into PTGui, it says the lens is 6.72mm instead
> of 24mm. When having a look at EXIF files, it seems the Mini 3 pro
> populates the lens focal field with 6.72mm instead of 24mm. Do you have
> any comment ? Should I change the value to 24mm manually in PTGui ? It's
> said we should enter the real value of focal and not 35mm equivalent.
> - When I import DNG files into PTGui, pictures are very dark, much
> darker than when looking with Preview app (MacOS). Also some pictures
> show strong halo effect due to sun. Is there any way to uniformise the
> luminosity in PTGui ? Do you manage well DNG files ? I have uploaded a
> set of DNG file into this folder: https://we.tl/t-D0QhHO8Qrj
>
> thanks for your help.
>

> Regards,
>
> Jeremy
>
> Le samedi 21 mai 2022 à 21:55:26 UTC+2, PTGui Support a écrit :
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> It's a rectilinear lens, PTGui should handle it automatically.
>
> For drone panoramas in general see 5.6:
> https://ptgui.com/support.html#5_6 <https://ptgui.com/support.html#5_6>
>
> If you run into any issue I'd be happy to take a look, just make a set
> of images available for download.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Joost Nieuwenhuijse
> www.ptgui.com <http://www.ptgui.com>
>
> On 21-05-2022 19:30, 'Jeremy D.' via PTGui Support wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >

> > I hope you are doing well. I am in South of France and just
> bought Mini
> > 3 pro. I love doing pano with my drones.
> >
> > Do you have PTGui lens file for DJI Mini 3 pro ?
> > Any one know what value should be manually enter otherwise ?
> >
> > Thanks for help.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Jeremy
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to ptgui+un...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:ptgui+un...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/f08b2655-5eaf-43b7-934f-dc480ca10795n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/f08b2655-5eaf-43b7-934f-dc480ca10795n%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/f08b2655-5eaf-43b7-934f-dc480ca10795n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/f08b2655-5eaf-43b7-934f-dc480ca10795n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/bdb79bcd-7a2c-4250-88b3-661829563c0bn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/bdb79bcd-7a2c-4250-88b3-661829563c0bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Houghton

May 22, 2022, 4:45:03 PM5/22/22
to PTGui Support
Jeremy,  I got an excellent stitch after converting the DNG images to TIFF (as Joost recommended) using Photoshop's ACR raw converter. If you use the DNG images, the result will not be as good owing to heavy vignetting.  This is corrected automatically by ACR really well using vignetting curve data present in the raw file.

John

PANO0001 Panorama.jpg

Kelly

May 23, 2022, 11:34:29 AM5/23/22
to PTGui Support
Thank you for sharing your stunning pano recently shot from about 450 meters south of the Cross of Provence, and 268 meters below the massif peak. Like John, I also was able to get an excellent stitch from both the 16-bit TIFFs and very similar results with the 8-bit JPGs, both having only removed chromatic aberrations via ACR.

After noticing that your maximum upward gimbal tilt was slightly less than 15° above the horizon, I asked DJI Support: "When using the pre-programmed full 360° pano with the DJI Mini 3 Pro, what is the maximum upward gimbal tilt?" (and for what it's worth, that upward limitation of 15° using the pre-programmed pano choice is exactly what I'm also seeing with my DJI Mavic Air 2, though its spec allows for 45°). The gist of our conversation resulted in the following response:

During the shooting process, the highest tilt of the gimbal is 15°. According to the results of many tests, in order to ensure the effect of the film, the current method is adopted. Our designated team will continue to work on it.

Just my impression; I understood this "to ensure the effect of the film" to mean that the DJI pre-programmed pano choice is trying to cover the broadest range of aircraft, or in other words, one maximum upward tilt range for all aircraft receiving a common firmware.

The tech had also shared this:
16a9d8434c504804ab2cfc98fa91fd38.png
Shooting a pano manually is not ideal since it adds in human inconsistency & additional angular (yaw) errors, plus it increases the time between shots. I am new to all of this drone stuff, but think that Dronelink could be employed to automate shooting a pano to fully utilize the gimbal's uppermost range.

RVhd

May 23, 2022, 12:31:36 PM5/23/22
to pt...@googlegroups.com
I all,

It is not clear to know if the +60° tilt is available when shooting in portrait mode. If it is the case you will be able to capture the zenith.

Romuald hd

Le 23 mai 2022 à 19:34, Kelly <v.kelly...@gmail.com> a écrit :

[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/4b0cc02a-98e3-445b-a34b-831a3f519992n%40googlegroups.com.
<16a9d8434c504804ab2cfc98fa91fd38.png>

Jeremy

May 23, 2022, 4:56:58 PM5/23/22
to PTGui Support
Manual shooting for panorama is not ideal, indeed.

Furthermore, I can confirm that the Mini 3 pro (and probably other series) does rotate around body gravity center and not camera sensor.
I am wondering if PTGui team member could guesstimate if it has any impact. The drone is quite small so I expect parallax to be minimum.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Erik Krause

May 23, 2022, 6:26:56 PM5/23/22
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Am 23.05.2022 um 22:56 schrieb Jeremy:
> I am wondering if PTGui team member could guesstimate if it has any impact.
> The drone is quite small so I expect parallax to be minimum.

It all depends on who far the objects are. You can calculate parallax
using that methode: https://wiki.panotools.org/Parallax
or directly use a calculator:
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

Howard Goldbaum

May 23, 2022, 7:06:27 PM5/23/22
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Unless you’re flying the drone indoors when you’re shooting the pano, parallax will not be a factor. Also, I’ve found that PTGui has a remarkable capacity to accommodate for minor parallax errors.
> --

Howard Goldbaum
hgol...@gmail.com
https://howardgoldbaum.com

PTGui Support

May 24, 2022, 3:13:01 AM5/24/22
to pt...@googlegroups.com
From what I've seen, parallax is often a problem with drone panoramas,
but it's usually caused by the drone drifting up or down while shooting
the images.

With some manual work ( https://ptgui.com/support.html#5_6 ) one can
usually get a good result though.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

Daniel Grozdanov

Mar 4, 2024, 2:31:56 PMMar 4
to PTGui Support
I know this is a very old thread but the mini3 pro can shoot the zenith and fill in the sky completely! full 360!