Align different panoramas?

Victor Ng

Sep 13, 2021, 1:31:10 AM9/13/21
to PTGui Support
I shot two panorama at different times of the day:

1.jpg

2.jpg

My goal is to align them so I can do exposure blending. I tried doing so in Photoshop but the results are not very good. Photoshop allows very little control over the alignment process.

Since both of these panoramas are created with PTGui, I was wondering if I can use something like control points to achieve what I want. Does anyone know if there's a way I can specify control points across different panoramas?

If you have another solution in mind, please let me know. Thank you

John Houghton

Sep 13, 2021, 4:57:07 AM9/13/21
to PTGui Support
This is possible but maybe not quite straightforward owing to complications arising from cropping the panoramas, and also possible parallax and viewpoint correction issues.  One method would be to combine the two projects using File->Append other project.  Then add control points between common features.  Optimize and create two separate panoramas using the Include Images list on the Create Panorama tab to select the required images for each.  Or you could output an completely uncropped image from one project and add that to the second project.  Follow the same process of adding control points between the images . . . . .

John

HK Photographer

Sep 14, 2021, 10:45:12 AM9/14/21
to PTGui Support

Hi I am still new to PTGUI. Can you explain in greater detail?

PTGui Support

Sep 14, 2021, 11:17:34 AM9/14/21
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There are two ways to tackle this. The simple way is to stitch both
panoramas first. Output both panoramas with the same projection and
field of view. For example, equirectangular projection and 180 degrees
horizontal field of view. You can set these parameters in the Panorama
Editor in the Projection sidebar.

Then start a new project, load the two stitched panoramas as source
images. Set the Lens Type (in Lens Settings) to the same values as the
panoramic projection (e.g. Equirectangular, 180 degrees horizontal field
of view). It's important to have these settings match the original
panoramic projection.

Then press Align Images.

In the Create Panorama tab, disable the checkbox 'output: blended
panorama'. Enable the checkboxes for Individual Layers.

This might actually produce a decent result, because your images are
taken at significant altitude and there will be little parallax.

The above method will give less decent results if you fly lower, or if
the drone was drifting while the images are taken. Parallax will cause
stitching errors and will also cause alignment problems between the two
panoramas.

In this case the method John suggested will give better results.
Basically it boils down to loading all images (day and night) together,
as if they were a single panorama. After aligning everything, output the
two panoramas by enabling only half of the images in the 'Include
Images' section in the Create Panorama tab.

In general, when running into stitching errors while stitching drone
images, be sure to read 5.6:
https://www.ptgui.com/support.html#5_6

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 14/09/2021 16:45, HK Photographer wrote:

> Hi I am still new to PTGUI. Can you explain in greater detail?
> On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 1:57:07 AM UTC-7 John Houghton wrote:
>
> This is possible but maybe not quite straightforward owing to
> complications arising from cropping the panoramas, and also possible
> parallax and viewpoint correction issues.  One method would be to
> combine the two projects using File->Append other project.  Then add
> control points between common features.  Optimize and create two
> separate panoramas using the Include Images list on the Create
> Panorama tab to select the required images for each.  Or you could
> output an completely uncropped image from one project and add that
> to the second project.  Follow the same process of adding control
> points between the images . . . . .
>
> John
>
> On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 6:31:10 AM UTC+1 HK Photographer wrote:
>
> I shot two panorama at different times of the day:
>
> 1.jpg
>
> 2.jpg
>
> My goal is to align them so I can do exposure blending. I tried
> doing so in Photoshop but the results are not very good.
> Photoshop allows very little control over the alignment process.
>
> Since both of these panoramas are created with PTGui, I was
> wondering if I can use something like control points to achieve
> what I want. Does anyone know if there's a way I can specify
> control points across different panoramas?
>
> If you have another solution in mind, please let me know. Thank you
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3deaf9c0-7fa0-443a-b008-dd2f8be8f68fn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3deaf9c0-7fa0-443a-b008-dd2f8be8f68fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
Message has been deleted

HK Photographer

Sep 18, 2021, 3:18:09 AM9/18/21
to PTGui Support
I tried that and did the following:

1. Output both panoramas
2. Load them up in a new project, ensure the correct perspective and lens were set
3. Add Control points
4. Align images

Both images are aligned now. However, when I output these images as individual layers, I am seeing a weird perspective distortion in BOTH of them (even if they are completely aligned)

Will it be possible to tell PTGUI to use image1 as the anchor image (meaning no change in perspective whatsoever for this image) and modify image2 only?

PTGui Support

Sep 18, 2021, 5:48:33 AM9/18/21
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Yes; go to the Optimizer tab. Switch to Advanced settings. Then disable
all optimizations for image 1.

In the Image Parameters tab (Advanced mode), make sure image 1 has yaw,
pitch and roll of 0.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com