Feature request: Export to avif

Harald Thingelstad

Jul 21, 2024, 8:29:09 AM (yesterday) Jul 21
to PTGui Support
I'm trying to export a pretty large HDRi and while I do use EXR I also want to export it to I format I can show off from mobile devices.

Jpeg has its limitations so PTgui recommends jpeg2000. Yet the software that supports that format is few and far between. It doesn't help that the industry goes to newer and more capable formats either, so jpeg2000 is left in the dust.

We have the webp format, and then the av1 derived avif format. So while support for webp could be nice, avif support seems to be pretty common now. And supporting both HDR, 12-bit and up to 4:4:4 pixel format I think it could work rather nice for us.

What do you think?
Harald

PTGui Support

2:15 AM (18 hours ago) 2:15 AM
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harald,

I've added this to the wish list. Supporting JPEG XL is also on the list.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/a5ecb876-6743-48da-86db-025b3db9e45fn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/a5ecb876-6743-48da-86db-025b3db9e45fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Nico Höllerich

2:44 PM (6 hours ago) 2:44 PM
to PTGui Support
I also wish a more compatible (than jp2000) HDR-capable image format. But avif is not a really good choice. Encoding with high quality takes a lot of time and the decomposition of large images into tiles can lead to visible border artifacts.