Patch tool and exposure compensation

Mika Salmi

Jul 25, 2024, 2:02:42 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to PTGui Support
The new patch tool is a great feature and makes editing more straightforward. But could you make it work without having to have the exposure compensation enabled? While exposure compensation is useful in some situations, it’s kind of a dumb tool because it only reads the exif data and more than often it only ruins the image.

For example I have taken bracketed HDR shots with exactly same exposure for each pic. Then I merge them with Lightroom. But sometimes Lightroom writes different shutter speeds in exif data. And when I import the images in PTGui, exposure compensation only reads the incorrect exif data.

Another scenario is when taking panoramas with drone. Usually the ground pictures are very dark if all the pictures are taken with same shutter speed. I use automatic shutter but even if I have already manually compensated the exposure of each pic in Lightroom, to use patch tool PTGui wants me to enable exposure compensation.

Sometimes the outcome is not that bad but usually it blows up the highlights or ruins the image in some other way. Sometimes contrary to the original intention it will even make the exposure between images totally uneven.

So could the patch tool work without exposure compensation? Or would it be possible to manually tell exposure compensation that the images already have same exposure even if the exif data shows different shutter speeds?

PTGui Support

Jul 25, 2024, 2:13:16 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mika,

There's an easy workaround: go to Image Parameters, select the Exposure,
Aperture and ISO columns by clicking on the header. This selects all
cells below. Press space bar to start editing, then Backspace to clear
the value. Now exposure compensation does nothing anymore.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/4ab8cda7-2274-43e5-9237-3d00008909b8n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/4ab8cda7-2274-43e5-9237-3d00008909b8n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mika Salmi

Jul 25, 2024, 3:03:00 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to PTGui Support
Thank you for the answer Joost. That will solve the issue and now it works great.

Erik Krause

Jul 26, 2024, 7:45:38 AM (yesterday) Jul 26
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Am 25.07.24 um 19:56 schrieb Mika Salmi:

> The new patch tool is a great feature and makes editing more
> straightforward. But could you make it work without having to have the
> exposure compensation enabled?

Joost, just out of curiosity: Why is this the case?

--
Erik Krause