high memory usage

prabhakar singireddy

Jun 12, 2024, 12:48:30 PMJun 12
to JMeter Forum
Hi team,
I am using the nongui mode of testing with the help of master and while executing it threw out of memory exception and heap memory issue but is solved after giving more heap size.

the main issue here is the memory usage is crossing above 90% even when tried to run in local machine but still it is the same issue,

pls tell me if there is any way to solve this issue.

note: heap setting
if not defined HEAP (
rem See the unix startup file for the rationale of the following parameters,
rem including some tuning recommendations
set HEAP=-Xms21g -Xmx21g -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=256m
) thanks & Regards, Prabhakar S.

prabhakar singireddy

Jun 13, 2024, 6:19:30 AMJun 13
to JMeter Forum
Hi,

there are more heap files(.hprofs) getting generated,  and the same script is working fine with out any issue in memory and heaps.
the configuration used in other machine is
if not defined HEAP (
rem See the unix startup file for the rationale of the following parameters,
rem including some tuning recommendations
set HEAP=-Xms10g -Xmx10g -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=256m
) Thanks.

DT

Jun 13, 2024, 6:44:26 AMJun 13
to JMeter Forum
OutOfMemoryError Exception has many possible reasons and each particular occurrence requires its own workaround or tuning on JMeter and/or operating system level

Yes, in the majority of cases it's lack of JVM Heap space, but it can also be something connected with impossibility to allocate native memory due to operating system limitations. So you need to inspect this .hprof file and get to the bottom of the issue.

JMeter-only solution would be getting either more powerful machine or another machine of the same specifications and running JMeter in distributed mode. In both cases make sure to follow JMeter Best Practices

Also having large heap is not always a good idea, garbage collections will occur less often but will take more time resulting in "chainsaw" load pattern

prabhakar singireddy

Jun 13, 2024, 11:33:58 AMJun 13
to JMeter Forum
Hi DT,

can you allobrate on how this works " HEAP=-Xms10g -Xmx10g -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=256m" also what -XX and -Xm denote here.

Regards,

prabhakar singireddy

Jun 13, 2024, 11:36:15 AMJun 13
to JMeter Forum
can we increase dump size like  DUMP="-2XX:+HeapDumpOnOutofmemory" instead of  DUMP="-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutofmemory"

regards,

prabhakar singireddy

Jun 17, 2024, 9:07:36 AMJun 17
to JMeter Forum
Hi DT,

what causes the outofmemory issue and how does the heap dump works, if there is any doc or article that helps me understand pls share,

thanks,