make errors on Ubuntu 13.04 and variants

Haig Petrus

Jan 3, 2014, 12:44:05 PM1/3/14
to pt...@googlegroups.com
**Sorry if this is a repost, but I couldn't see my first post in the group after I submitted it.**

Hi --

I've been trying to build the latest version of ptex on Ubuntu 13.04 and variants only to get the following errors:

In file included from PtexCache.cpp:114:0:
PtexReader.h:39:18: fatal error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [PtexCache.o] Error 1

zlib.h is located under the linux-headers directories, so I don't know what's going on in terms of linkage from make's point of view.

I'd love to get into developing for ptex, as well as using it.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

--Haig

Brent Burley

Jan 6, 2014, 2:15:01 PM1/6/14
to pt...@googlegroups.com
(Sorry for the slow moderation - I was out of the office for the holidays)

If you want to use make directly you should be able to edit the Makefiles and add the zlib.h location to INCPATH.  That said, it's probably better to use cmake.  It should be able to find zlib automatically if it is installed in a standard place, or you can set ZLIB_ROOT otherwise.  You can see the rules here: https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/blob/master/Modules/FindZLIB.cmake