Psychopy crashes when playing a particular .wav file

Kelly Michaelis

Mar 23, 2016, 12:54:49 PM3/23/16
to psychopy-users
Hey there,

I'm a relatively new user, I'm running version 1.83.04 on a macbook pro with Yosemite 10.10.4.  I have a pretty simple experiment set up that plays .wav files and asks the subject to respond. I adapted it from a coworker's experiment, and had it running fine until I tried to swap out the .wav files for ones I had shortened and normalized in Adobe Audition (trial version).

I have checked everything about the files (size, filename, correct location in the experiment folder is all the same), but nothing seems to work. If I keep everything the same and just switch the filename in the .csv file the trials are drawn from to one of the original files before it was edited, everything works fine. I checked the edited files, and they don't appear to be locked or protected or anything like that, but if I try to use one of these .wav files, psychopy crashes and I get the following message:

python[20399:3743000] ApplePersistenceIgnoreState: Existing state will not be touched. New state will be written to /var/folders/y0/5pbgmsy937n1ygd5bh1n7m280000gn/T/org.psychopy.PsychoPy2.savedState
python(20399,0x7fff7eb43300) malloc: *** error for object 0x10ce69240: pointer being freed was not allocated

I googled the error and saw a couple threads that suggested repairing the disk permissions, but that didn't help either.

Any suggestions?

Michael MacAskill

Mar 23, 2016, 5:07:59 PM3/23/16
to psychop...@googlegroups.com

> On 24/03/2016, at 05:52, Kelly Michaelis <kcmic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If I keep everything the same and just switch the filename in the .csv file the trials are drawn from to one of the original files before it was edited, everything works fine.

Dear Kelly,

So it seems that you have successfully isolated the problem as being due to your .wav files.

Do they play successfully in other software (not Audition)? i.e. are they saved in the correct format, are they corrupted in some way, etc? What happens when you just double-click one?

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael R. MacAskill, PhD 66 Stewart St
Research Director, Christchurch 8011

Senior Research Fellow, michael....@nzbri.org
Te Whare Wānanga o Otāgo, Otautahi Ph: +64 3 3786 072
University of Otago, Christchurch http://www.nzbri.org/macaskill

pablo.a...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2017, 4:50:40 AM4/12/17
to psychopy-users
I had the same problem, it was a problem of pygame that couldn't play .wav files encoded in 24 bit. I changed them to 16 bit and all worked fine.