New version of PsychoPy won't start after installing

T.O.

Aug 2, 2015, 10:49:23 AM8/2/15
to psychopy-users
Hello everyone,

I've just installed the latest version of PsychoPy (1.82.01).
However, after the installation, the program won't even start.
I've referred to the solution suggested here but had no luck so far.

Therefore, I went into the command prompt and tried the suggested method to get the error message and got the following:

I would really appreciate it if anyone could teach me what is wrong with the current setting of my computer.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,

Takashi Obana

Jon Peirce

Aug 2, 2015, 12:56:21 PM8/2/15
to psychop...@googlegroups.com
Could you try installing it again?
cheers,
Jon

Jon Peirce
http://www.peirce.org.uk

T.O.

Aug 2, 2015, 10:45:41 PM8/2/15
to psychopy-users
Hi Jon,

Thank you so much for your reply!
I've tried installing it again couple of times but the same symptom persists.

This time, I got the following message from the command prompt.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\高志>"C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\python.exe" "C:\Program Files (x

86)\PsychoPy2\Lib\site-packages\PsychoPy-1.82.01-py2.7.egg\psychopy\app\psychopy

App.py"

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\Lib\site-packages\PsychoPy-1.82.01-py2.

7.egg\psychopy\app\psychopyApp.py", line 48, in <module>

    app = PsychoPyApp(0, showSplash=showSplash)

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\psychopy-1.82.01-py2.

7.egg\psychopy\app\_psychopyApp.py", line 76, in __init__

    self.onInit(**kwargs)

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\psychopy-1.82.01-py2.

7.egg\psychopy\app\_psychopyApp.py", line 115, in onInit

    from psychopy import compatibility

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\psychopy-1.82.01-py2.

7.egg\psychopy\compatibility.py", line 3, in <module>

    import psychopy.data

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\psychopy-1.82.01-py2.

7.egg\psychopy\data.py", line 12, in <module>

    from pandas import DataFrame, read_csv

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\pandas\__init__.py",

line 27, in <module>

    from pandas.core.api import *

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\api.py",

line 8, in <module>

    from pandas.core.categorical import Categorical, Factor

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\categoric

al.py", line 9, in <module>

    from pandas.core.frame import DataFrame

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\frame.py"

, line 37, in <module>

    from pandas.core.series import Series, _radd_compat

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\series.py

", line 3460, in <module>

    import pandas.tools.plotting as _gfx

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\pandas\tools\plotting

.py", line 20, in <module>

    import pandas.tseries.converter as conv

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\pandas\tseries\conver

ter.py", line 7, in <module>

    import matplotlib.units as units

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.p

y", line 1048, in <module>

    rcParams = rc_params()

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.p

y", line 897, in rc_params

    fname = matplotlib_fname()

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.p

y", line 748, in matplotlib_fname

    fname = os.path.join(os.getcwd(), 'matplotlibrc')

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\ntpath.py", line 108, in join

    path += "\\" + b

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0x8d in position 9: ordinal

not in range(128)

C:\Users\高志>

I really apologize for the trouble but I would very much appreciate it if you could teach me what is going on and what is wrong with the current setting.

Thank you very much!!!

Sincerely,

Takashi

2015年8月3日月曜日 0時56分21秒 UTC+8 Jon:

Hiroyuki Sogo

Aug 3, 2015, 3:05:54 AM8/3/15
to psychopy-users
Hi Takashi,

PsychoPy 1.82.01 can't handle Kanji characters in your path (C:\Users\高志).
I guess that you tried to run a psyexp file in C:\Users\高志.
If so, move the psyexp file to a directory whose name doesn't include Unicode characters (e.g. c:\work) and try to run it.

By the way, this problem is fixed in PsychoPy 1.82.02rc1.
Please see this thread for detail.

--
Hiroyuki

2015年8月3日月曜日 11時45分41秒 UTC+9 T.O.:

T.O.

Aug 3, 2015, 4:23:28 AM8/3/15
to psychopy-users

Hi Sogo-sensei,

Thank you so much for your kind reply!

Yes, my Japanese kanji directory has been causing the PsychoPy code to crash.

Therefore, when I run the ".py" codes, I run it from the directory which only includes English alphabet.

The strange thing about my current problem is that when I install the older version of PsychoPy (e.g. 81.00), I can start the program.

The problem is that the installed program does not even "start" when I use the newer versions (i.e. 82.00, 82.01 or even 82.02 following your notification). :(

I am not sure if this is informative or not but I have changed the directory of the command prompt which does not include any kanji characters (by using "cd.." commands) and tried to run the suggested directory (I am attaching the output at the end of this reply).

Unfortunately, it still returns some (error?) message and does not even start the PsychoPy program.

By looking at the outputs of the command prompt, the directories do not include any non-English characters, therefore I speculate that there is some other cause to my current problem...

Furthermore, as you can see in the command prompt outputs, the PsychoPy itself is installed in the directory that does not involve any kanji.

So I am very baffled why the program does not even start.

(By the way, I've been having some other problems with my PC such as executing the line to import pandas when the exact the same code ran perfectly with other PC...)

(I have the antivirus software in my PC and it should be free of virus. Moreover, other programs are running without any problems...)

I am so sorry for the trouble again but I would really appreciate it if I could get some thoughts about why my PC cannot even "just start" the program.

Thank you so much for your time!

(I am pasting the command prompt output below)

Sincerely,

Takashi

##command prompt output starts from here ##

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\高志>cd..

C:\Users>cd..

C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\python.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Psycho

y", line 759, in matplotlib_fname

    configdir = _get_configdir()

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.p

y", line 630, in _get_configdir

    return _get_config_or_cache_dir(_get_xdg_config_dir())

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.p

y", line 555, in _get_xdg_config_dir

    path = get_home()

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.p

y", line 323, in wrapper

    ret = func(*args, **kwargs)

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.p

y", line 509, in _get_home

    path = os.path.expanduser("~")

  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\lib\ntpath.py", line 301, in expanduser

    return userhome + path[i:]

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0x8d in position 9: ordinal

not in range(128)

C:\>

##command prompt output ends here ##

2015年8月3日月曜日 15時05分54秒 UTC+8 Hiroyuki Sogo:

Hiroyuki Sogo

Aug 3, 2015, 10:44:57 AM8/3/15
to psychopy-users
The error message is different from that in your second post.
Now python says that an error had occurred in os.path.expanduser("~").
I guess that Kanji characters would be included in the name of your home directory.
Please try "echo %USERPROFILE%" from command prompt to see your home directory.

This issue is not a PsychoPy's bug but Matplotlib's.
I think older versions of PsychoPy don't import Maplotlib during initialization of the application.
This is why you can run older versions of PsychoPy.

This Matplotlib's bug is fixed in the latest stable version (1.4.3)
Run following script to show version of Matplotlib installed in your PsychoPy.

import matplotlib
print matplotlib.__version__

If version is older than 1.4.3, the issue will be fixed by updating Matplotlib to 1.4.3.

--
Hiroyuki

2015年8月3日月曜日 17時23分28秒 UTC+9 T.O.:

Jonathan Peirce

Aug 4, 2015, 5:32:46 AM8/4/15
to psychop...@googlegroups.com
I uploaded a new windows standalone release (for 1.82.02rc1) that should contain updated dependencies of everything:
    https://github.com/psychopy/psychopy/releases/download/1.82.02rc1/StandalonePsychoPy-1.82.02-win32.exe

If you install that one (wait for the previous version to uninstall first) you should have the right version of matplotlib to get around the kanji issues

Jon

Jonathan Peirce
University of Nottingham

http://www.peirce.org.uk

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Hiroyuki Sogo

Aug 4, 2015, 10:02:34 PM8/4/15
to psychopy-users
Standalone release is really nice!
I had just written how to upgrade Matplotlib in standalone PsychoPy 1.82.01, but it turned to be unnecessary :).

By the way, I tried PsyhcoPy 1.82.02rc1 installer and found that the installer fails to create a shortcut to PsychoPy app.
The shortcut points to C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\Lib\site-packages\PsychoPy-1.82.02-py2.7.egg,
while the package directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy2\Lib\site-packages\PsychoPy-1.82.02rc1-py2.7.egg.
Correcting this point, PsychoPy can be started from the shortcut.

--
Hiroyuki

2015年8月4日火曜日 18時32分46秒 UTC+9 Jon:

T.O.

Aug 4, 2015, 11:51:33 PM8/4/15
to psychopy-users
Hi Sogo-sensei and Jon,

Thank you so much for your thorough supports!!!

From this experience, I learned that the version of the matplotlib was indeed causing the persistent problem.
Yesterday, I was trying very hard just to update the matplotlib version as Sogo-sensei suggested.

But in the midst of those painful trials, Jon had notified me about the release of the new 82.01 version.
I tried it and it works perfectly!
The minor editing of the shortcut path also worked!

Now, I no longer get the unicode error messages!
I can also import matplotlib and pandas now :)

Again, thank you so much for your sincere support.
I learned a lot from this experience :)

Sincerely,

Takashi

2015年8月5日水曜日 10時02分34秒 UTC+8 Hiroyuki Sogo:

Jonathan Peirce

Aug 5, 2015, 8:43:15 AM8/5/15
to psychop...@googlegroups.com
OK, cool. I've not heard anyone report any bad things about this bug-fix release (except for the broken shortcut) so I'll fix that and make it an official release shortly.

Jon

T.O.

Aug 18, 2015, 10:16:14 AM8/18/15
to psychopy-users
Hi Jon,

The new version is working so great for 2 weeks and it solved all the persistent problems I had with all the older versions!
Thank you so much for your sincere help :)

Best,
Takashi

2015年8月5日水曜日 20時43分15秒 UTC+8 Jon: