code-style refactoring update

Jeremy Gray

Feb 29, 2016, 9:00:54 AM2/29/16
to psycho...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Richard and I are done for now with the code-style refactoring, and Jon has pulled it into the master branch. We touched a lot of code (1,000's of lines, maybe 10,000 even), but not everything. I still want to do standard PEP8 whitespace and line length (79 chars) for iohub (working with Sol), tests/* and a few other files, but that will be another time. (Its pretty mind-numbing, I need a break.)

We found about 6-7 minor bugs along the way, which we will fix.

The file history who-when ("blame") information is all still on github, about who changed what when. If in the future you go to look to see who added or changed something, try the regular way first. If that shows me or Richard during Feb 2016, maybe we are actually to blame but hopefully not :-) The previous who-when information is accessible by selecting a commit on github that was made prior to Feb 2016. From that commit, you can browse all files and see the associated line-by-line history of who added or changed what. Bottom line: this info is not lost, just a little harder to get to.

The pylint score is now around 8.5 when telling it to ignore camelCase var names, which is greatly improved. I updated a project-wide pylintrc file.

If you were holding off working on something until the codebase is stable, now is the time, its stable again.

--Jeremy

Jonathan Peirce

Feb 29, 2016, 10:27:57 AM2/29/16
to psycho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys for your prompt and painless job :-)

Jonathan Peirce
Nottingham Visual Neuroscience

http://www.peirce.org.uk

University of Nottingham.