starting to refactor...

Jeremy Gray

Jan 31, 2016, 1:45:33 PM1/31/16
to psycho...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Today I'm going to start refactoring for whitespace and line length. I am wiling to pause if there is emergency work to do. There was a possible user-report along these lines, but it seems to have stalled. So hopefully that work can wait until the end of the week. If not, we'll deal with it when it comes up.

I will soon make a new branch in my fork, and do autopep8 on all .py files within psychopy/app/, and commit it  (This is quick and easy.) From there my plan is to reduce long lines within those same files (app/*.py), doing so by hand. This will take longer, and is not easy to redo. Richard will be joining me later this week. Reducing long lines to 79 or fewer characters (doing so by hand) is the only kind of further change that should be done in this branch.

If you want to help reduce long lines, thats great. I will pull your changes into my branch, and when the dust has settled this one branch will be pulled into psychopy master. There may be some lines that might remain over 79 chars for readability, but they will probably be few and far between. Readability is the goal, and so contortions to get below 80 chars would be counter-productive.

Ready, set, go!

--Jeremy

Richard Höchenberger

Jan 31, 2016, 2:24:57 PM1/31/16
to psychopy-dev
Hi all,

I already told Jeremy off-list that I am very happy and excited about this
and willing to help after I've finished some urgent job-related
things, i.e., Tuesday or Wednesday. Just wanted to announce this
publicly to keep everyone informed :)

Richard