Re: [psychopy-users] Sound distorted

Jeremy Gray

Jan 14, 2016, 12:04:06 PM1/14/16
to psycho...@googlegroups.com
[to dev-list]

Maybe by default, play()ing a sound that is already playing should raise an error.

--Jeremy

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Jonathan Peirce <jon.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
For completeness, this turned out to be caused by Anneke's script calling the sound.play() on every frame and the sound kept trying to play from the beginning.

Jon

On 13/01/16 22:26, Michael MacAskill wrote:
Hi Anneke,

It sounds like you are using pygame for sound instead of the more reliable pyo library. In the preferences, set the audio library field to be:

['pyo','pygame']

So that pyo is used in preference to pygame.

Don't know if that will solve your problem, but is a good place to start.

Regards,

Michael

On 13/01/2016, at 04:15, Anneke Haddad <anneke...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm using Coder view, Psychopy 1.83.03 in OSX.

My experiment uses an audio stimulus which is a scream sound. This plays in Psychopy, but it doesn't sound like a scream. Instead it sounds rather like a sort of jittery beep - as if it's perhaps just looping the first msec? The scream plays fine in VLC and also plays fine within the experiment when I run it on my office machine (also OS X and 1.83.03) rather than the lab machine. It also plays fine when inserted randomly into one of the Builder demos.

Interestingly, when I try the soundStimuli demo in the coder, I sometimes (but not always) get weird distortions too. This demo also sometimes causes Psychopy to crash with the error "Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault." I don't know if this crash behaviour is related to my issue or something specific to the soundStimuli demo though. The demo runs fine on my office machine (no distortions and no crashing).

Also interestingly, we have had a similar problem of a distorted scream when transferring this audio file to a Windows laptop (different experiment but same stimulus file), which I still haven't been able to resolve.

The file is in .wav format with sampling rate of 44.100kHz.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this issue?

--
Jonathan Peirce
University of Nottingham

http://www.peirce.org.uk

message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Michael MacAskill

Jan 14, 2016, 8:45:20 PM1/14/16
to psycho...@googlegroups.com

> On 15/01/2016, at 06:04, Jeremy Gray <jrg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe by default, play()ing a sound that is already playing should raise an error.

Mmm, I don't know. I think that is a "buyer beware" thing. I can envisage situations when a person might want immediate audio feedback from a button press, regardless of whether the previous sound had completed. Not having that would make the button/key seem to be unresponsive.

Preventing an overlap seems possible by just inserting a check before playing. But creating an intentional overlap wouldn't be possible if we made it cause an error. At most, raising an error should be optional.

Regards,

Mike